Brighton
Greer out. King Kayal as captain.

Sorted.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Nothing against Greer. I don't think he's "shit" or any nonsense. Just think he is slowing up a bit, and has always struggled in the air. He did actually play quite well against Blackburn, but long term I see the other two.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Dunk and Uwe seems the logical choice. Bit of pace each, both decent in air. And both have age on there side. Greer has played pretty well in general so far and won't be easy to move from the side, be interesting to see how long Hughton persists with Greer.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If Greer turns out to be our No. 3 centre back then well done to him to helping us off to a great start. He still has much to give this season, and I thought he had a good game on Saturday.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
If Greer turns out to be our No. 3 centre back then well done to him to helping us off to a great start. He still has much to give this season, and I thought he had a good game on Saturday.

Yes i thought so too...and he never had his head turned by that 50k bid by Barnsley :whistle:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Uruguayan Defence

This ultra defensive system you won't read about in the modern tactical systems as it dates back to the Uruguyan national side back into the seventies.

Three centre backs, but without wing-backs. One of the centre-backs (Dunk would be best) has licence to go forward and because there are three centre backs on the pitch there is no need for the defensive midfielder to drop back into cover.

So it is conceivable that it possible to play Greer, Dunk and Uwe Hünemeier. Don't know if I like the system but if there is any team I would play it against it would be Ipswich away with Darryl Murphy, Smith and Berra all good in the air.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Nothing against Greer. I don't think he's "shit" or any nonsense. Just think he is slowing up a bit, and has always struggled in the air. He did actually play quite well against Blackburn, but long term I see the other two.

Thought he had a stinker myself. All over the place in the first half, though admittedly got stronger in the second.

However, there can be no doubt that he has been key in our success and poor performances/slower/less sharp or not, he is part of a defence that has been keeping clean sheets. I do agree the way forward is without him, but at the moment we seem to be doing okay.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Thought he had a stinker myself. All over the place in the first half, though admittedly got stronger in the second.

However, there can be no doubt that he has been key in our success and poor performances/slower/less sharp or not, he is part of a defence that has been keeping clean sheets. I do agree the way forward is without him, but at the moment we seem to be doing okay.

Strange that and not for the first time exactly my thoughts as well regarding his form against Blackburn.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
From my point of view, we were a little fortunate to come away with 6 points from the Fulham and Blackburn games, Smith won headers constantly in the Fulham game and probably should have buried one, and in the Blackburn game we were helped out massively by a quality performance from Stockdale. I think Uwe and Dunk is the perfect mix, but the season in the Championship is rigorous so I wouldn't be surprised to see Greer and Goldson in league action somewhere down the line. A squad with depth is key not just a strong starting 11.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I appreciate the op hasn't criticised Greer within his request for a new central defensive partnership, but I do feel Greer's contribution and performances for the club are vastly under rated and appreciated.

Very rarely does he receive the plaudits for 5 years of solid performances, leading the team to some of the best league finishes in decades.

For me he's right up there with some of our best centre half's since I started watching the Albion, in terms of longevity and performances. It seems strange he's not revered and celebrated in the same way that Cullip, Morgan & Upson were despite contributing more than any of them across an Albion career.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
This will be greers last season with us, I think humermeir an dunk will be first choice by October, we have goldson and rea as back up. greer may even leave in Jan window.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Been saying it for weeks. Just an age thing - like GG on the whole of course.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
This ultra defensive system you won't read about in the modern tactical systems as it dates back to the Uruguyan national side back into the seventies.

Three centre backs, but without wing-backs. One of the centre-backs (Dunk would be best) has licence to go forward and because there are three centre backs on the pitch there is no need for the defensive midfielder to drop back into cover.

So it is conceivable that it possible to play Greer, Dunk and Uwe Hünemeier. Don't know if I like the system but if there is any team I would play it against it would be Ipswich away with Darryl Murphy, Smith and Berra all good in the air.

This is conceivable, I guess but Dunk is dreadful (& totally one footed) going forward compared with the rest of his game. As predictable as El-Abd

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here