Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How do You Start an Email?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
This is something that regularly causes me a (quite minor) problem.

So how do you start your emails?

“Hi.”

No, forget that – too boring.

“Hey!”

Hmmm – too giddy.

“Wasssup!”

Yikes – too Budweiser.

It’s one of life’s little conundrums many of us are forced to confront every day: what salutation should we use to start an email?

When electronic mail first pinged on the scene – around the mid-90s – it felt rather contrived to use the informal US salutation “Hi”. This was despite TV imports like Friends continuing their relentless Americanisation of our language.

“Dear” felt more reassuring. Remember, this was when it was still “e-mail”. It was a new service that had not yet built up its own lore or idiosyncrasies. As such, it was treated as the straight-up, newer, shinier version of real-life mail. “Dear” was how we began handwritten and printed pieces of communication, so “Dear” is how we decided to start these.

That didn’t last. “Dear” is now only dusted down and pressed into service by true traditionalists. It’s too stiff and formal, its demise hastened by the rash of conversational language we are exposed to at every turn. These days, even organisations renowned for their stuffiness, like banks or insurance companies, write the way we speak. No one says “Dear” in real life, so no one says it in emails.

As email became sufficiently ingrained in our lives to shed its cumbersome hyphen, we began to realise it was a much more fluid means of communication than its printed predecessor. “Hi” no longer seemed contrived. Instead it felt bright and concise and right. We had a new industry standard.

At this stage I should probably divulge my bias: “Hi” remains my go-to salutation for almost all professional emails. However, its position as our country’s first-choice first-word has recently come under threat. Some feel it’s too ubiquitous and not emotive enough. No longer fresh, it now suggests autopilot.

Jeffrey ‘Hey now!’ Tambor as Hank (left) with Rip Torn and Garry Shandling in The Larry Sanders Show. Facebook Twitter Pinterest
Jeffrey ‘Hey now!’ Tambor as Hank (left) with Rip Torn and Garry Shandling in The Larry Sanders Show. Photograph: Moviestore Collection / Rex Feat/Rex Features
“Hey” is the hip new kid on the block. Another US import, it promises greater intimacy and urgency – a powerful combination that suggests your recipient really needs to read what you’ve got to say.

Others disagree. To “Hi”’ traditionalists – or, heaven forbid, “Dearists” – “Hey” is too shouty, unsophisticated and familiar for the workplace. It feels as if it should be followed by “you guys” and used by the sort of people who insist you have a nice day.

For those who can’t stomach “Hey”, I present an alternative: “Hello”. The UK version of “Hi”, it’s warm, reassuring and just the right balance of familiar and professional. No wonder it’s already become a chatty copy cliche in the world of advertising and branding.

Sifting through my inbox, it’s very rare to find someone eschewing the “Hi-Hey-Hello” triumvirate. However, such mavericks do exist. One member of my book club never uses a salutation. He just plops my name down and plonks a comma after it. (BTW, is it still rude or ungrammatical to drop that comma?)

I don’t mind this direct approach. But, then again, I know him to be a plain-speaking chap. To others it might be a touch too curt. It also reminds me of the communist’s favourite salutation – “Comrade!” – which was never without its insistent exclamation mark.

There aren’t many brave enough to adopt this brusque approach. In fact, most millennials are so fearful of sounding insensitive that they will follow their chosen salutation with a cursory “How are you?” Can we all cut this out? A dreadful idea in speech, it becomes truly irritating on screen. Harold Pinter wrote a parody of the automatic use of this phrase, exposing the lack of sincerity in those who employ it. Now I don’t want to come across all Larry David, but no one genuinely wants to know how you are. If you told them truthfully, they wouldn’t have a clue how to react.

This trend only started a couple of years ago and seems to be indicative of our age of sentiment – where professing emotion is more important than feeling, let alone acting, on it. Email is supposed to be an efficient method of communication. Down with email niceties, comrades! Let’s all get to the point, make it and move on with our lives.

So, what other alternatives are there? Well, there’s “Hello there” or even “Hey there”. These will occasionally kick off a business email but surely only if the sender has been working with the recipient for a wee while. To my mind, they’re both too cosy to usher in 100 words about annual leave policy. “Hello there” is a bit too Bertie Wooster, while “Hey there” is a bit too Hank from The Larry Sanders Show.

The truth is that when it comes to the ever evolving and ever confusing world of email salutations, there is no right choice. What’s fresh today will be passé by the next Gmail update. What’s risqué now will be stuffy before you realise it.

When it comes to salutations, your choice should be led by your own personal style (or personal brand, if you’re that way inclined). So, what do you go for? Just don’t say: “Yo”.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/mi...ar-reader-how-do-you-start-an-email?CMP=fb_gu

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
If its the bank then its
Dear Facist Bully Boys !
Give me some money you *******s.
Boomshanka !! ( May the seed of your loins be fruitful in the belly of your wooommaaaannnn !!!

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I'm one of the brusque ones who start with the recipients name - say what I need to say and end with my name, and contact details where appropriate.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Normally with "I'm sorry, will you let me back in the house please"

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
I'm one of the brusque ones who start with the recipients name - say what I need to say and end with my name, and contact details where appropriate.

Definitely this.

If "Dear" is not appropriate (and I'm still not convinced it's not), I just can't bring myself to use "Hi" which seems American and naff, or "Hello" which just seems stupid in a written context. So I just start with the person's name, or it the email is part of a conversation I just begin with the main text.

I still hate receiving emails which start with "Hi", especially from someone I don't know, but I've had to try to get over this aversion as it seems to be the nearly universal approach now. I did, a few years back, set up a filter on my email which automatically sent any email which started with "Hi" into my spam folder, on the grounds that I wouldn't particularly want to communicate with anyone who did that, but it got to the point that it was causing me difficulties at work because I was missing so many emails that I subsequently relented.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Entirely depends who I'm sending it to and the subject matter within.

I cover the whole spectrum from 'Yo' to 'To whom it may concern'/'Dear Sir/Madam', so I don't really think that there is a correct way...

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
'Hey dude' if applying for a job, 'Cooey! Big Boy' if it's to your friend, 'Oi bitch' to your mother, 'well I hope you're fire king satisfied' to your wife.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
telnet [$mailserver] 25

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here