Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Magnificent series, very atmospheric and well acted

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I am about half an hour behind but this is legendary already "you are the Pablo Escobar of the estate" :bowdown::bowdown:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
image.jpg

:lolol:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Pretty disappointing for me.

Playing a slow piano over someone smoking a spliff in slow motion staring into distance doesn't make it particularly thoughtful or poignant, its just lazy writing. And it seems to be caught between two stools of trying to be "LOL" funny (trying WAY too hard with the two knobs out of Top Gun), whilst being serious at the same time. The whole thing seems pretty aimless as well, its not going anywhere.

I'll give it another go next week, but it needs to up its game.

gen

Banned
Aug 23, 2015

Playing a slow piano over someone smoking a spliff in slow motion staring into distance doesn't make it particularly thoughtful or poignant, its just lazy writing. And it seems to be caught between two stools of trying to be "LOL" funny (trying WAY too hard with the two knobs out of Top Gun), whilst being serious at the same time. The whole thing seems pretty aimless as well, its not going anywhere.

Were you aware of the two earlier series, This is England 86 and This is England 88? If not you should watch them first to put this series into context. They were excellently written pieces of television. I haven't watched the first episode of this series yet so cannot comment but I have hopes that it will live up to the first two. I hope I'm not disappointed.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham

Pretty much agree with that, as a massive This is England and Shane Meadows fan found it so disappointing tonight, found the dialogue poor and trying too hard to be funny, the scene over the snooker table was ridiculous as was the eating school dinners plus the bloke falling out of the cupboard
And like you said the poignant music was wasted on a nothing moment

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Were you aware of the two earlier series, This is England 86 and This is England 88? If not you should watch them first to put this series into context. They were excellently written pieces of television. I haven't watched the first episode of this series yet so cannot comment but I have hopes that it will live up to the first two. I hope I'm not disappointed.

No. I saw the film (which was absolutely brilliant), but I must admit the preceding 2 series slipped under my radar.
I know its highly rated, which is why I was a bit disappointed with tonights episode. Regardless of whatevers gone before, I thought it was a bit "meh", but I'm not writing it off. And I'll catch up with the other 2 at some point if its knocking about somewhere.

gen

Banned
Aug 23, 2015
Just started watching. I got as far as the opening credits. Did anyone else notice during the opening credits in the documentary footage of the Poll Tax Riots that girl who tries to shoulder charge a galloping Police Horse. Guess who came off worse. I keep repeating playing it. I think its worth a watch just for that scene.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Pretty much agree with that, as a massive This is England and Shane Meadows fan found it so disappointing tonight, found the dialogue poor and trying too hard to be funny, the scene over the snooker table was ridiculous as was the eating school dinners plus the bloke falling out of the cupboard
And like you said the poignant music was wasted on a nothing moment

Glad it wasn't just me then. Everyone else seems to be raving over it.

We all love a bit of nostalgia, and some of the music was great. But its got to do a bit more than that.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011

We all love a bit of nostalgia, and some of the music was great. But its got to do a bit more than that.

Haven't watched this yet, but watched the previous two series and although I thought they were good, part of me does think the 'look' of everything is laid on a bit thick.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Meadows shouldn't have besmirched the name of the excellent original film by continuing to churn out these third rate spin-offs. Joe Gilgun (Woody) is a dreadful actor (imho).

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Hopefully it will pick up when Stephen Graham's character reappears. The previous two series only got going when things started going pear shaped. But I agree, it was very meh last night. The two idiots were particularly badly done.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

Nope not just you. Very much enjoyed the first two but that was pony. Where ever the two divs in the shades have come from they should bugger off back there sharpish. The snooker table scene was ****ing odd and Woody's parents....WTF were they all about?

Even thought the music was a bit boring a predictable.

Will stick with it though on the back of the first two.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here