Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Waiting at Calais tonight?

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
Heads up to anyone driving back from Spa. Mega queue in off ramp to Eurotunnel terminal. According to Web site, freight train stopped in tunnel. 4 hour wait to check in followed by 3 and half hour wait at the terminal.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Sister in law said she came home a week ago on the train and if it werent for the uk press should wouldnt have known the problems with immigrants. According to her the camps are not at the docks as they seem on TV but some 3 miles inland. Is that how you see it. She said the TV make it seem worse than it actually is for normal travellers.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Sister in law said she came home a week ago on the train and if it werent for the uk press should wouldnt have known the problems with immigrants. According to her the camps are not at the docks as they seem on TV but some 3 miles inland. Is that how you see it. She said the TV make it seem worse than it actually is for normal travellers.

Media in irresponsible, sensationalist journalism shocker...

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

I agree. I posted this several weeks ago when I came back through the Tunnel. The chaos that was being reported at the time was entirely down to the ferry workers strike and not migrants.

The Hon Sec

Feb 23, 2009
Deep up County
Haven't been since the start of summer but the camps that I was aware of (and I use the ferries) are to the east of Calais near the port. They are a long way from the Tunnel entrance. May have moved more recently.The impact that I have seen is on the town and inhabitants of Calais.They have my sympathy

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Haven't been since the start of summer but the camps that I was aware of (and I use the ferries) are to the east of Calais near the port. They are a long way from the Tunnel entrance. May have moved more recently.The impact that I have seen is on the town and inhabitants of Calais.They have my sympathy

But it is a splash in the ocean looking at the issues at the borders of Macedonia and Greece

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My sister in laws brother in law, not a direct relation of mine is a vicar and they have had arguments and I am not sure who is correct he says, that we as a nation except one of the least numbers of imigrants of all EU countries. Italy apparently have a lot more. Is he correct?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
My sister in laws brother in law, not a direct relation of mine is a vicar and they have had arguments and I am not sure who is correct he says, that we as a nation except one of the least numbers of imigrants of all EU countries. Italy apparently have a lot more. Is he correct?

The Dublin III convention of the EU means that the countries furthest away from the edges of the EU that get major asylum seekers end up having far less than those at the edges - basically, the first EU country they come in contact with is the only one they can seek asylum in.

This means that Spain, Italy, Malta, Greece get bombarded and the UK, Ireland, Sweden, Finland don't considering the current problem is boats across the med.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I have had to wait at Calais for 40 minutes to go home.
I have had to flee Syria or Iraq and leave my life behind to survive.
Not good is it for all sides.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
The Dublin III convention of the EU means that the countries furthest away from the edges of the EU that get major asylum seekers end up having far less than those at the edges - basically, the first EU country they come in contact with is the only one they can seek asylum in.

This means that Spain, Italy, Malta, Greece get bombarded and the UK, Ireland, Sweden, Finland don't considering the current problem is boats across the med.

I read somewhere that Sweden has taken in the second highest number of migrants(after Germany) and we've taken in amongst the lowest number.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Schengen.

I read somewhere that Sweden has taken in the second highest number of migrants(after Germany) and we've taken in amongst the lowest number.

The problem is the open border agreement. Until countries have control over their own borders in the EU then they will pass the buck to those in the front line. Give them back control. Then they will be seen to help those that are directly in the front line without fear of being overwhelmed.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

It seems then it all comes down to how people interpret the news differently as it is given to them.

Contrary to what your sister in law thought the news was telling her i personally don’t recall any news report saying the camps were actually at the docks like she thinks they reported or any report even coming close to implying that .I recall plenty of news reports however saying how the migrants have a long journey every day from their camps to the areas where they are trying to gain illegal entry into the UK.

if you are travelling by train the chances of having your journey disrupted or actually even seeing an immigrant are minimal compared to travelling by ferry or tunnel. Im not sure what your sister in law "normal traveller" was expecting to witness from her window.seat travelling at 180 mph

D

Deleted member 22389

But what nobody mentions is that we already take 300,000+ a year legally through open borders. They should stop making this country look like the bad guys all the time. If people want to come to this country go through the proper channels.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
But what nobody mentions is that we already take 300,000+ a year legally through open borders. They should stop making this country look like the bad guys all the time. If people want to come to this country go through the proper channels.

its a bit mad topsy turvy isnt it.Britain is asking Europe to stick to the rules and treaties surrounding immigration and seeking asylum and getting roundly criticized for it,meanwhile the rest of the EU community ignores the rules and treaties and tries to push the immigrants and the problem onto someone elses turf.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton

Not so sure about that. Sweden took over 100,000 refugees in 2014.

D

Deleted member 22389

its a bit mad topsy turvy isnt it.Britain is asking Europe to stick to the rules and treaties surrounding immigration and seeking asylum and getting roundly criticized for it,meanwhile the rest of the EU community ignores the rules and treaties and tries to push the immigrants and the problem onto someone elses turf.

Agreed. First thing they should be doing is pulling these boats around.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here