Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oh Solly, Solly

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Solly can be a game changer especially with his pace and ball control and he has clearly toughened up. HOWEVER, he needs to learn to use his right foot and be coached in what to do when he gets away. We have now seen this on three occasions in the last two games where he could have made the difference. Come on Soly fulfil your potential.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Murphy would appear to not have a left foot on yesterdays evidence.

The Terminator

Aug 7, 2010
He's got a lot of natural talent but he's still got a lot to learn. Decision making can be very poor at times and his final delivery isn't up to scratch yet either. He's still young and i believe he'll grow into a top player for us in the future but for now, he's a solid squad player.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I said this on the match ratings thread, everything he does up until the point where he has to make a decision is excellent. He can beat a man, turn a defender inside out and get into great positions, but if there's one thing you can rely on it's that he'll deliver a terrible ball, shoot wide, or give the ball away straight away after doing something well.

He has the makings of a superb player but if anyone would benefit from taking the Beckham route of staying behind after training to practice crossing, it's Solly.

Feb 14, 2010
The manager should call him into his office and explain that we are paying for both feet. There is no excuse for anyone who does nothing but play football for 7 days a week to not be able to be two footed. He should stay behind after training and do crossing, shooting and passing with his weak foot. I remember both Nelson and Wilkins. Both good players but their right foot was dreadful. Wilkins was skilful and kicked with the outside of his left boot which helped but they really should have been able to have been able to deliver a cross with the weak foot. Its actually just confidence and the weaker foot can end up a "different sort of foot" delivering a different sort of ball and shot. They can enjoy using the weaker foot if they just try it.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I said this on the match ratings thread, everything he does up until the point where he has to make a decision is excellent. He can beat a man, turn a defender inside out and get into great positions, but if there's one thing you can rely on it's that he'll deliver a terrible ball, shoot wide, or give the ball away straight away after doing something well.

He has the makings of a superb player but if anyone would benefit from taking the Beckham route of staying behind after training to practice crossing, it's Solly.

Pretty much sums it up for me.
Watched Solly do all those things at Fulham and got more and more frustrated with him. Left me questioning whether, ultimately, he won't be good enough as he lacks that fundamental essential to all top players.....the ability to stay calm and composed and do the right thing at those few, vital last seconds, when the right decision can result in success or not.
Its not something that can be taught. Its an innate skill-set. The ability to still think clearly and execute accurately at moments of pressure. It separates the best from the rest.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I like Solly, I think he will become a very very good player for us. The final ball is the problem but if he keeps doing what he's doing, attacking and getting into the right positions, then it will come. I actually thought he attacked more and made more incisive runs than Murphy.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Extremely frustrating. The lack of end product is criminal for a professional player in an attacking role. If he wasn't a local / youth product he'd be getting dogs abuse

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
My dad, who played at a decent standard in what was then the Isthmian League (equivalent of the conference) for Carshalton, always told me that he was primarily right footed, but spent hours practicing with just his left, either with a football or a tennis ball, until his left foot was as good as his right. He was a winger as well, and if he could do it, playing part time, then surely a full time professional player has loads time to get it right. After all, they're paid to just do football!

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011

Fulham away last year.........................

clearly you didn't go.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I've said this before, same for KLL except the opposite wing/foot.
Kaz is good at cutting in a firing a powerful shot with his right though, and we'd lose that if he switched. He's also able to get to the line and play the ball back towards the edge of the box, which is dangerous even when it's not well targeted. But if Solly is able to do nothing once he's beaten everyone, I can't see the benefit of having him on the right.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Kaz is good at cutting in a firing a powerful shot with his right though, and we'd lose that if he switched. He's also able to get to the line and play the ball back towards the edge of the box, which is dangerous even when it's not well targeted. But if Solly is able to do nothing once he's beaten everyone, I can't see the benefit of having him on the right.

It needs to be remembered that SM is an up and coming player who needs to build confidence at this level. I don't personally think hes an out and out winger so playing him on the left wont serve as a benefit to him or the team. He will be a good player at this level but it wont happen overnight.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The two things that infuriate me about Solly is the way he will not go outside of players and predictably cuts inside to his left leg so easy to defend against and the fact that he gets a blood rush to his head when he gets near the goal. A couple of times he has been in a position to put the game beyond the opponents reach but has failed miserably. Perhaps he will improve as he gets older and more experienced.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
I know.
Where do you think his best position will be?

depends on formations I guess. I wouldn't class him as a winger or a forward but somewhere in between. The manager will have his own ideas regarding formations/set ups etc so its impossible to know if he will be given a run of games or whether he will be used as a sub for the time being. Which ever way, he remains a good prospect. Once he finds his feet in this league,confidence will grow, and he will be decent IMO.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
The two things that infuriate me about Solly is the way he will not go outside of players and predictably cuts inside to his left leg so easy to defend against and the fact that he gets a blood rush to his head when he gets near the goal. A couple of times he has been in a position to put the game beyond the opponents reach but has failed miserably. Perhaps he will improve as he gets older and more experienced.

of course he will. I bet if you played at any level, you were a bit nervous,unsure etc... at critical times during games. Confidence is key with SM and that only comes from playing regularly.

As I said before, we were 1-0 up at Fulham last year and he didnt FAIL miserably when put through. 2-0 thanks for coming... a lovely first touch and finish. He just needs a decent run of games.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here