Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blackburn

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Surely the worst style of football to ever visit the AMEX? Absolutely awful, they caused us some trouble but imagine paying to watch that... Anyone think of any worse?

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
I agree. Their first thought, wherever they were on the pitch, was to pump it into the box. I haven't seen a team that direct for a long time. It would probably have worked though if they still had Gestede.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I agree. Their first thought, wherever they were on the pitch, was to pump it into the box. I haven't seen a team that direct for a long time. It would probably have worked though if they still had Gestede.

Since when was a direct style of play a bad thing? ???

They came straight at us for the first 20 minutes of the first half and the first 10 minutes of the second half and caused us real problems at the back. Then they ran out of gas...

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
They reminded me of Stoke mark 2, constant long throws and free kicks launched into our box. If they play like that home and away I feel for their fans.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Yes, or we hadn't had Stockdale. Direct and boring their style of football may have been, but they could, and probably should, have been ahead before we scored what turned out to be the winning goal.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
A very basic style of football but I suppose that is the tactics they have decided will keep them up with the players they have. It did cause us quite a few problems at times! Time will tell if it will work for them.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
They reminded me of Stoke mark 2, constant long throws and free kicks launched into our box. If they play like that home and away I feel for their fans.

I thought for the first 20 mins they were the better team and looked dangerous , then we grew in to the match and then all there attacks came from dead ball situations just like Stoke ,

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
One trick pony's ... I thought Bowyer was better than that

Clearly his chairman didn't think that as dismissed tonight

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
Blackburn team spirit seemed to fade in second half. Noticed quite a few arguments developing between their players as the match went on. Could be a long hard season for them.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Clearly his chairman didn't think that as dismissed tonight

I strongly suspect that's purely down to results (or lack of them). I really can't imagine the Venkys sitting round and saying, look, we really want a more modern progressive possession style here!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
There are plenty of people here that seem to want us to play that way. Hopefully they wont get their way.

That's if you relate a 'style of play' to a system. I don't think the two are necessarily the same thing. Your hated 4-4-2 does not have to be Blackburn style lump it forward. Those whom called for 2 up from last season are being proved right (for now), but I've not read on here anyone posting that they want hoofball like Blackburn (apparently) played?

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Since when was a direct style of play a bad thing? ???

Possibly since it became known as "route one" or "hoofball" (notoriously adopted by Bobby Gould's Crazy Gang and Jack Charlton Ireland) that old, ugly British aerial style of play, eschewing any element of the skilled passing, elegance or finesse that was introduced by the influx of technically gifted foreign players during the 90's, largely derided by current day fans who want to be entertained and, thankfully, almost exclusively witnessed in the higher leagues as a Plan B during the last frantic 10 minutes of a game when a losing team is desperate to get a share of the spoils?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Must only have one page in their training manual - most goals are scored from 3 or less passes (or whatever the figure is), and training is geared around that.
Boring to watch and with current results will see crowds tumble further.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here