Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Saddened but extremely thankful

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
What happened today at the Shoreham Air show was truly tragic and feel extremely sorry for those that lost loved ones. Two of my daughters ( 21 & 19 ) visited and stayed last night and left to head home this morning. One of them called to say they had broken down just near the traffic lights and the old Sussex Pad pub and where awaiting breakdown recovery ( lucky them I thought, they get to watch the airshow for a couple of hours ).

Eventually two hours later the breakdown driver arrived and suggested to one of my daughters ( having got the car re-started ) to drive along to a safer place. As they pulled away no more than just one minute later the plane crashed yards from where they had broken down. Just so thankful as someone up there was looking down on them this afternoon.!!! :angel: RIP for those poor souls who didn't make it, I cannot begin to wonder what their families are going through tonight.

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
Jesus. Lucky escape. Can't imagine what some people must be going through at the moment.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Blimey, can't even begin to think how relieved you must feel. So glad they are safe.

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
We drove thru at aprox 1.20pm en-route to the Amex - must have been moments before the crash as left home in findon valley at exactly 1pm and got to Uni parking at 1.35pm.
Didn't see a thing but we reckon if I'd looked in my rear view mirror as we drove towards holm bush we'd have seen the fireball - scarily too close for comfort!
RIP to all those who weren't so lucky

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
So fortunate, missed it by 20 minutes. Terrible for all of those poor people and their families.

Sometimes football just doesn't matter......

RIP

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
What happened today at the Shoreham Air show was truly tragic and feel extremely sorry for those that lost loved ones. Two of my daughters ( 21 & 19 ) visited and stayed last night and left to head home this morning. One of them called to say they had broken down just near the traffic lights and the old Sussex Pad pub and where awaiting breakdown recovery ( lucky them I thought, they get to watch the airshow for a couple of hours ).

Eventually two hours later the breakdown driver arrived and suggested to one of my daughters ( having got the car re-started ) to drive along to a safer place. As they pulled away no more than just one minute later the plane crashed yards from where they had broken down. Just so thankful as someone up there was looking down on them this afternoon.!!! :angel: RIP for those poor souls who didn't make it, I cannot begin to wonder what their families are going through tonight.

Top marks to the breakdown truck driver

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
When you next see them hug them like you'll never let them go.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Only just got back from work and really shocked by this tragedy on a road I and so many others on here know so well and use all the time.

Thoughts go out to those involved and their families/friends and I think we'll all be sweating until the names of the victims are known, because it could be someone we know. A savagely random and devastating accident.

Long investigation will now kick in, but you suspect that if air shows in this country continue it will be with a whole lot of new restrictions. You cannot take the risk of this happening again, and to my mind it is hard to replicate this kind of spectacle without risk, ergo they may consider stopping them. I don't say that lightly, it has been a great event for Shoreham over the years, but let's see what emerges from the investigation.

theboybilly

I left home for the match and rode my scooter via the roundabout at the Amsterdam /Red Lion pubs in Shoreham. Nothing then seemed at all untoward. As I exited the slip road heading up the hill towards the Holmbush Centre turn off I sensed that there were hardly any cars following me from the Lancing direction, probably just a couple that had also come from Shoreham. When I got to the Amex I bought myself a cuppa and went to my seat where I turned on my phone to receive a call from my other half frantically seeking to know that I was alright. She saw the plane and heard the crash minutes after I had set off. My condolences to all involved in this awful incident.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

That's an incredible story. I am so glad your daughters are safe.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Puts things into perspective doesn't it? Whilst we were enjoying the football today, the main topic of conversation around us were updates on this sad event.

Heart goes out to all those affected.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Football today just didn't seem that important. RIP to the poor victims & thoughts are with their families :(

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Football today just didn't seem that important. RIP to the poor victims & thoughts are with their families :(

That is very true, but let's not forget that it is quite possible that some who might have been on that road, at the wrong moment, were going to go to the airshow tomorrow so they didn't have to miss the football today. So many ifs and buts people will be thinking about in a situation like this.

So glad your family ok,my wife drove through literally moments before and I was about a mile and a half behind,I saw the huge smoke and fireball go up in the air,I couldn't get hold of her(battery had gone on her phone)it was a sickening feeling not knowing,
Thoughts with everyone that has been affected by this tragedy.
Life's to short folks,live every day like it's your last.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here