Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Jam Live Limited Edition Vinyl

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
ha ha you din ,there was a jam memorobilia display in london a couple of weeks ago suits ,letters and various memorabilia ,just keeping you up and running on things :tosser:
regards
DR

Thanks DR good to know you have your finger on the pulse (of your 70's/80's glory days :lolol:). Was it good?

Bit far for me though, hopefully it will come over to Melbourne. Will have to satisfy myself with a Bowie expo in a couple of weeks time.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Actually quite a lot is lost when the original sound is broken down into a digital format. CDs don't have the scratches though, I'll grant you.

Would this not depend on whether the original analogue tapes were being used to transfer across and remastering. A lot of CD remasters are superior sounding even when transferring mono. i would accept some early CDs suffer to not having the original tapes, or even worse recording the vinyl album being played.

There then is the Japanese SHM and 5.1 mixes on DVD which are a step up again.

A lot will depend on the equipment used to listen to the format.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Would this not depend on whether the original analogue tapes were being used to transfer across and remastering. A lot of CD remasters are superior sounding even when transferring mono. i would accept some early CDs suffer to not having the original tapes, or even worse recording the vinyl album being played.

I'm no audio expert - can't give you chapter and verse, but essentially the initial sound is in wave (analogue) format; to convert it to digital it has to be broken down and re-formatted (compressed?). In many cases, the digital form will sound better (or at least clearer) to the naked ear, but some of the colour is lost. Hence the mini vinyl revival that's happening - it's not all about nostalgia!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

as far as i understand it, it is to do with capurting the whole of the sound wave. Digital recording is limited in this and the lower resolution you go the more is lost. To keep the whole sound wave you need to record using analogue and then transfer it onto vinyl. Using digital formats in any of the process will limit the full sound. I often wonder how much modern vinyl is pressed from digital recordings anyway (although the digital equipment at point of recording is pretty impressive these days so may not make a huge amount of difference).

Something like this http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/question487.htm

To be honest the sound quality means little to me and is a very small part of why I buy records. I just love the vinyl experience and never felt any connection to CD's. Currently very happily sitting listening to Spotify from my phone over bluetooth to a nice Samsung speaker its just so easy :)

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I'm no audio expert - can't give you chapter and verse, but essentially the initial sound is in wave (analogue) format; to convert it to digital it has to be broken down and re-formatted (compressed?). In many cases, the digital form will sound better (or at least clearer) to the naked ear, but some of the colour is lost. Hence the mini vinyl revival that's happening - it's not all about nostalgia!

I suspect that part of the revival is down to the heavy weight vinyl that is used now, as opposed to the wafer thin that was used in the 70s particularly around the time of the oil shortage, which I understands gives a better sound.
One advantage that CD will have over vinyl is the sequencing of songs, where for vinyl consideration had to be made on which track was being used towards the end of the side, as the groove compressed.
Just like tastes in music it is all down to individual choice on format - 8 track anyone?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here