Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

People watching on holiday

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
We were in Venice for a couple of days this week at the end of our holiday and when we arrived, it was really stormy and wet.

Anyway, we walked to the Rialto bridge, which is actually being repaired so you couldn't get to one side of it and noticed that there was only a few gondolas out. We dived into a bar next to the grand canal and were amazed at the people in the water taxis and gondolas that were operating.

Without exaggeration, almost every water taxi, at over 100€ a pop was filled with Chinese people and that was the same with the gondolas again at €100 a ride. The taxis held around 8 people and the gondolas around 6 people. The Italians must be making a mint as the rest of the Europeans/ Americans etc were all crammed in the vaparetos ploughing their way up and down the main canals.

From visiting a lot of European cities over the years, certainly the demarcation of nationalities has swung towards the east and it has been quite a change in how people's behaviour has also altered. One hotel we have stayed at in Barcelona in the past was full, so we went and had a drink in their bar and the maitre d told us that they had stopped advertising in the European websites and magazines as they get their hotel filled by the Chinese and could do so 10 times over every week.

I would say they are a hell of a lot more polite that the Japanese, but that may just be a cultural thing.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
China's middle classes are growing at a huge rate so this is only going to continue, unless their economy completely tanks

A wander through any "posh"/independent department stores in any European city in summer shows how much cash they're pouring in

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Very rich Russians seem to be everywhere these days, and they're all rude and arrogant wankers.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
We were in Venice for a couple of days this week at the end of our holiday and when we arrived, it was really stormy and wet.

Anyway, we walked to the Rialto bridge, which is actually being repaired so you couldn't get to one side of it and noticed that there was only a few gondolas out. We dived into a bar next to the grand canal and were amazed at the people in the water taxis and gondolas that were operating.

Without exaggeration, almost every water taxi, at over 100€ a pop was filled with Chinese people and that was the same with the gondolas again at €100 a ride. The taxis held around 8 people and the gondolas around 6 people. The Italians must be making a mint as the rest of the Europeans/ Americans etc were all crammed in the vaparetos ploughing their way up and down the main canals.

From visiting a lot of European cities over the years, certainly the demarcation of nationalities has swung towards the east and it has been quite a change in how people's behaviour has also altered. One hotel we have stayed at in Barcelona in the past was full, so we went and had a drink in their bar and the maitre d told us that they had stopped advertising in the European websites and magazines as they get their hotel filled by the Chinese and could do so 10 times over every week.

I would say they are a hell of a lot more polite that the Japanese, but that may just be a cultural thing.
The Chinese are more polite than the Japanese? I would say you're incredibly wrong. Certainly by British standards of politeness.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The Chinese are more polite than the Japanese? I would say you're incredibly wrong. Certainly by British standards of politeness.

Nope...not wrong at all in fact I am incredibly right..not incredibly wrong. I think you are incredibly wrong and not incredibly right at all.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Nope...not wrong at all in fact I am incredibly right..not incredibly wrong. I think you are incredibly wrong and not incredibly right at all.

Fair enough. It's an interesting point of view.

I don't mean this as a slight against the Chinese. It's just Chinese politeness is quite different to what passes for polite over here.

"They speak loudly in public, carve characters on tourist attractions, cross the road when the traffic lights are still red, spit anywhere and [carry out] some other uncivilised behaviour. It damages the image of the Chinese people and has a very bad impact."

So said one of China's deputy PMs recently.

Last edited:

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
People watching at Hangleton Sainsburys is infinitely preferable to doing it overseas (unless you're killing time in Bangkok Airport, the best people watching place on the planet). The amount of bickering couples doing the rounds of the Hangleton Sainsburys aisles makes it worth going in alone, even if you don't intend making a purchase. Do it soon.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Have you ever been to Japan? If so, this really surprises me as it's well known that the Japanese are incredibly polite and every time I go there, this is very evident.

Jul 7, 2003
The Chinese tourists seem to have money to burn. While working in Lucerne I saw them piling into the jewellers shops and spending fortunes on high end Swiss watches.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Have you ever been to Japan? If so, this really surprises me as it's well known that the Japanese are incredibly polite and every time I go there, this is very evident.

No I work with both Japanese and Chinese and have always found the Japanese to be a bit superior and falsely polite. Although to be honest my great uncle was a pow after Singapore fell and according to my dad he was the shadow of the man he was when he same back and never spoke about his experiences but only lasted a few years more before ending it all in a canal! Maybe this clouded my views of the japs as I would never buy Japanese cars either.

A gang of japanese tourists once tried to shove my wife out of a cable car in Austria so they could get more in, which nearly caused an international incident when she set about this bloke with her bag!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
A gang of japanese tourists once tried to shove my wife out of a cable car in Austria so they could get more in, which nearly caused an international incident when she set about this bloke with her bag!

How did you manage to get a cruise liner into Austria? ???

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
The number 12 coaster bus is still mainly Japanese. Cannot say I have seen many Chinese yet.

There's nearly always a load of Chinese or Japanese getting on at the Cuckmere Country Park stop when I drive past there. Always wondered if they were students from the universities. It's a beautiful spot, but I don't know why it attracts them in particular. We're usually coming back from Birling Gap or the Beachy Head area and you don't get nearly as many there.

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
Japanese are polite but very nationalistic. Chinese are like the Japanese but a bit more chill. Hong Kong and Singapore have a superiority complex over the mainland. The Philippines, Thailand and Indonesia are just chill.

*curruption included with all asian destinations

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here