Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What does it take to get offended in the work place 2015

Brightonia

Dec 7, 2012
Sussex by the sea
Myself and a couple of Colleagues ( a male and a female) were talking about which famous celebrities we would like to spend the night with- nothing graphic, no intimate detail, just pretty much saying who we wouldn't kick out of bed.

One of my other colleagues ( a female) has just piped up about how disgusting we all were and that she was really offended that we would talk about who we fancied in the office and said if we carried on she would file a complaint to our boss!!!

Seriously??

Must admit I can't believe in this day and age, someone can get offended because I said I fancy the pants out of Michelle Keegan? She would have a heart attack if she ever watched anything on Channel 4!

Anyone else know anyone who gets offended at the littlest things?

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
Myself and a couple of Colleagues ( a male and a female) were talking about which famous celebrities we would like to spend the night with- nothing graphic, no intimate detail, just pretty much saying who we wouldn't kick out of bed.

One of my other colleagues ( a female) has just piped up about how disgusting we all were and that she was really offended that we would talk about who we fancied in the office and said if we carried on she would file a complaint to our boss!!!

Seriously??

Must admit I can't believe in this day and age, someone can get offended because I said I fancy the pants out of Michelle Keegan? She would have a heart attack if she ever watched anything on Channel 4!

Just talking about this yesterday how some people used words like "joey" etc and other unmentionables. Today just keep your mouth shut and then you can't get into trouble :thumbsup: and upset the progressive lefties :)

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
It could be classified as sexual harrassment if the object of your desires worked with you, as it could make someone uncomfortable. However, taking offence at saying which celeb you fancied is rediculous and nothing short of trying to demonise healthy biological urges that cause any man or women to find someone attractive.

I have a mental image of this woman. I'm thinking overweight, coloured hair, facial piercings and quirky clothing.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

Seriously??

Reminds me of when I worked it a well known big office in Hove. My female manager instructed me to take down my Hollyoaks girls calendar (it was a secret santa present btw, I did not purchase it). The fact that she had the Robbie Williams calendar displayed of him in various states of undress was apparently perfectly acceptable though.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
My work colleagues get really upset when I talk about who I'd like to sleep with, some people are so sensitive.

But, there again, I work with my wife and daughter

Brightonia

Dec 7, 2012
Sussex by the sea
It could be classified as sexual harrassment if the object of your desires worked with you, as it could make someone uncomfortable. However, taking offence at saying which celeb you fancied is rediculous and nothing short of trying to demonise healthy biological urges that cause any man or women to find someone attractive.

I have a mental image of this woman. I'm thinking overweight, coloured hair, facial piercings and quirky clothing.

Actually, shes skinny, extremely pale, greasy hair and a complete brown nose to the boss!

32, single and still lives at home with her mum- she wonders why she is single....

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

Seriously??

Depends.....

If you said you wouldn't kick Katie Hopkins out of the pit, I would put a complaint in!

Brightonia

Dec 7, 2012
Sussex by the sea
Reminds me of when I worked it a well known big office in Hove. My female manager instructed me to take down my Hollyoaks girls calendar (it was a secret santa present btw, I did not purchase it). The fact that she had the Robbie Williams calendar displayed of him in various states of undress was apparently perfectly acceptable though.

Did you not say about the Robbie calendar??

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Did you not say about the Robbie calendar??

I did indeed. She claimed my calendar was sexist because it portrayed women as sex objects. She said that Robbie's calendar could not be sexist because he is a male. :rolleyes:

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
This should be on the Bell Cheeses thread, Shirley?

Brightonia

Dec 7, 2012
Sussex by the sea
I did indeed. She claimed my calendar was sexist because it portrayed women as sex objects. She said that Robbie's calendar could not be sexist because he is a male. :rolleyes:

Oh god, I hate all that "Only Men can be sexist" crap!

The same girl who I've spoken about on this thread, refuses to carry any boxes because "It's a man's job"...

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon

Seriously??

Go and see your boss and sound him/her out whether they think it is acceptable - before the sad lonely woman with no life or sense of fun goes and complains.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'd have got fired.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon

The same girl who I've spoken about on this thread, refuses to carry any boxes because "It's a man's job"...

You should refuse to clean up the office and refuse to wash up the coffee cups, and tell her you refuse to do it as it is a 'womans job' ( not necessarily my own views )

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Emails are more intriguing. I have been summoned to two disciplinary 'interviews' in the last couple of years (I mentioned this, I think, some time ago). I was told that emails are 'public property' no matter to whom they are sent. A moot point, when dealing with colleague volunteers for a research society, who are all supposed to be in the same tent. I referred to the CEO as handwringy in an email. (I have said this to his face on several occasions without consequence). I was told tat the email had been forwarded to the CEO (who was at the hearing, looking sheepish). The persom making the accusation was a volunteer 'officer' of the society. I asked him to whom I had send this 'offensive' email that had been so injudiciously forwarded to the CEO. 'Er, it was me' he replied. The hearing collapsed with :ffsparr::ffsparr: all round.

I also refereed to someone else as 'dim' in a phone call. Months later, this useless piece of uselessness was sacked (for being dimmer than the headlights on a clapped out Morris Minor). Much later I suggested to the powers that be that it would be much better ensuring people do their effing job rather than wetting themselves when someone made a confidential critical comment. The reply was tumbleweed.

Yes, some people take themselves awfully seripously and it often seems inversely proportional to their own competance.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Luckily, I work in an office where it would be more like 'I'd smash her back doors in' as a normal turn of phrase. Most of the women make countless jokes about cock etc. Makes for a much more fun and relaxed atmosphere when people don't get offended easily :thumbsup:

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot

Very true. I raised the point the other day. All the girls were off to see Magic Mike and discussing how great it was.

All i said was that if the lads were going to see a film with the same storyline but the lead was female then we woul dhave all been shot down as sexist. I was told 'that's completely different' although no one could explain why

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here