Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Getting the train home with a 5 year old.

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
Hi.
Am taking my 5 year old son to the game tomorrow and it will be both our first time.Went to the Goldstone
many times when I was much younger.
Am concerned that if we get the train back from Falmer after the game it will be manic.Is that the case?
Am I better off leaving the game a little early and catching the 16.26?

Cheers

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
It is manic and not ideal for a 5 year old, however missing a last minute winner is criminal and is the type of memory a 5 year old could be hooked on forever! Is there anyway you can leave later and let queues die down? If not then leave after game as normal and I just hope your 5 year old is more patient then mine!!!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Why would a Palace fan be taking his 5 year old to a Brighton game? Is Selhurst that much of a shithole?

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Even half an hour after, the trains are a breeze! Have one last pint, watch the scores on sky sports news on the TV's check the next train on the train and bus screens, easy peasy!!

seagull_in_malaysia

Aug 18, 2006
Reading
Hi.
Am taking my 5 year old son to the game tomorrow and it will be both our first time.Went to the Goldstone
Am concerned that if we get the train back from Falmer after the game it will be manic.Is that the case?

Cheers

Probably. Why not just hang back after the game and have a pie or go to the club shop while the queues die down?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Hi.

Cheers

To get the 16.26 you'd have to leave fifteen minutes in to the second half. It actually wouldn't be worth going at all. If you are genuine and that worried then look in to getting a Seagull Travel coach where your son would have his own seat and could watch the whole game. However........

Why would a Palace fan be taking his 5 year old to a Brighton game? Is Selhurst that much of a shithole?

......certainly an odd first post.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Yep.

Hang around after the whistle, take some pictures pitch-side.
Then wander around the shop for a bit.

45 minutes after the whistle, train should be fine.

This

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
Thanks for the replies.
Guinness Boy if I have to leave 15 mins into the second half to get the 16.26 then I will forget that.
Looks like I will go with most peoples opinion and leave it for at least 30 mins after the game.
Nwgull I have no idea why you think I support Palace.The Goldstone as you know is Brightons
old ground and I went there many times supporting the Albion.

Notters I am travelling to Worthing.

I was able to take my son for a tour of the Nou Camp 2 weeks ago and now it will
be great that I am taking him to a superb stadium like the Amex with an actual game for which
I hope will be the first of many.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Looks like I will go with most peoples opinion and leave it for at least 30 mins after the game.

Ii you're not in a rush, there's three trains closely grouped together at 17:38, 17:45 and 17:53. By the time the 17:53 comes, most of the people on the platform will have been mopped up by the previous two trains and you'll easily get a seat in a half-empty carriage, especially if you get on near the back of the train.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Thanks for the replies.
Guinness Boy if I have to leave 15 mins into the second half to get the 16.26 then I will forget that.
Nwgull I have no idea why you think I support Palace.The Goldstone as you know is Brightons

Notters I am travelling to Worthing.

I was able to take my son for a tour of the Nou Camp 2 weeks ago and now it will
be great that I am taking him to a superb stadium like the Amex with an actual game for which
I hope will be the first of many.

Hope you both enjoy the game. Good to keep the next generation coming through.

Staying after final whistle is definitely the best best. Especially on a warm summer's day, have a drink on the concourse or outside in the sunshine. Then walk straight onto a train after 30-40 minutes.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Even half an hour after, the trains are a breeze! Have one last pint, watch the scores on sky sports news on the TV's check the next train on the train and bus screens, easy peasy!!

This is correct; don't rush, stroll down to the station 30 mins after the match and all will be cool. The queue directly after the match is not "manic"; it's just a big queue, but it's pretty well regulated and I've never been in a crush. If you haven't been since The Goldstone I reckon you will be very pleasantly surprised by how much better the experience is of taking kids to football is these days (at the Amex anyway).

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
This is correct; don't rush, stroll down to the station 30 mins after the match and all will be cool. The queue directly after the match is not "manic"; it's just a big queue, but it's pretty well regulated and I've never been in a crush. If you haven't been since The Goldstone I reckon you will be very pleasantly surprised by how much better the experience is of taking kids to football is these days (at the Amex anyway).

I'd agree with this. Actually remarkably civil, just a lot of people to move

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Thanks for the replies.
Forgive my cynicism, but it stems from the fact that Palace fans/trolls seem to enjoy perpetuating two myths: that none of our current fans ever went to the Withdean, and that most leave by 80 minutes.

Leaving for a 16-26 train at any ground in the country would mean missing the last 30 minutes, at least. Add that to it being a new account, and you can see the reason for the scepticism.

But concur with other answers. Give it 25-30 mins after the final whistle and you can usually walk straight onto the platform.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
To be honest the queues are not bad and easily manageable with a 5 year old. If you leave on the whistle you should get the 17:16 direct to Brighton then either the 17:33 or 17:45 to Worthing as I live in Shoreham. Which train you will get is dependant on whether SR decides to shut the gate so the 17:33 goes away half full. What will be amusing is when you get to Shoreham there will be a massive crowd trying to get on a relatively packed train as the Air Show is on this weekend.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
trains are never rammed so that wont be a problem. Most people are decent so wont be jumping all over the kid. Don't worry about it , he will be fine. If it does get bad , put him on your shoulders

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I took Moshe Jnr as a 4 year old in 2011 and for the first couple of games, mistakenly, decided that leaving a few minutes early was the correct approach.

So much better to hang around after and enjoy The Amex for a bit longer before wandering down to walk easily onto the platform. Pack a softish ball to kick around outside and, with a pint in hand, time flies while the crowds disperse...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here