Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Sports Life Stories: John Barnes

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Catching the end of a programme I didn't know existed on ITV.

Presumably a series, this episode focused on John Barnes.

I'll be honest - other than THAT goal against Brazil, I'd forgotten just how good he was. I'm sure I knew it at the time, but the memory has faded a bit.

After that, he cuts quite a sad figure now, still with managerial aspirations. I know he had largely disastrous stints at Celtic and Tranmere, but I agree with his point that many managers get sacked and then get another job almost ad infinitum. It does seem strange that he has not been given another opportunity anywhere at any stage. Is it really a race matter as he all but suggested though?

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
Sadly I think it is more common when high profile players fail at management the chairmen are afraid of fans reaction if they appoint them. You need at least one successful job to ride out failures. Barnes never had that. Also there are only so many times you can fail before you are damaged goods.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
You only have to listen to the bloke commentate live matches to realise he could never be a decent manager. The word Monotone was invented for Barnes, no way could he motivate any level of footballer. Some people are cut out for it and others aren't and he was shocking at both attempts he had. Also he was OWNED by John Crumplin football genius. Enough said.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Whilst Celtic manager his ineptness gave us the great headline.
"Super Caley go ballistic Celtic are atrocious"

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
He does come across as particularly bad at his job (or former job, management) but he does have a point, albeit one fans often make, 'How did he get another job??'

But, yeah, what a footballer he was.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here