Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone still wear white socks with a suit? (Our estate agent does!!)

markychap

Feb 1, 2010
Seaford
We are still in the process of trying to sell our house and recently we invited round a new estate agent and this young guy turned up, about 23/24, to have a look round. He was very smartly attired - expensive-looking dark grey suit, waistcoat, crisp white shirt and polished black shoes - and seemed to rate himself a bit with some justification I guess, he was tanned and had a David Beckham-esque mop of blond hair.

When he came in he offered to take his shoes off. I wouldn't have said yes but my wife did and this lad eased his smart shoes off to reveal flipping white socks.

It got worse though. When he later sat down to make some notes, you could see that they were white trainer socks! With his flash suit and shoes!!

I suppose you could forgive him as a one-off occasion but he's now been back, with potential buyers, etc on three occasions and each time he's been in white socks with smart black lace- up shoes.

Am I missing something with modern fashion?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I would be more interested to see if he's good at his job and gets your house sold rather than his choice of sock colour.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
We were never allowed to wear white socks with our school uniform for a very good reason: it looks shit. You'd be doing he lad a huge and inexpensive favour by telling him that his choice of socks is letting down the rest of his outfit.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We are still in the process of trying to sell our house and recently we invited round a new estate agent and this young guy turned up, about 23/24, to have a look round. He was very smartly attired - expensive-looking dark grey suit, waistcoat, crisp white shirt and polished black shoes - and seemed to rate himself a bit with some justification I guess, he was tanned and had a David Beckham-esque mop of blond hair.

When he came in he offered to take his shoes off. I wouldn't have said yes but my wife did and this lad eased his smart shoes off to reveal flipping white socks.

It got worse though. When he later sat down to make some notes, you could see that they were white trainer socks! With his flash suit and shoes!!

I suppose you could forgive him as a one-off occasion but he's now been back, with potential buyers, etc on three occasions and each time he's been in white socks with smart black lace- up shoes.

Am I missing something with modern fashion?

I never like to judge a book by it's cover BUT this guy sounds like a right cock.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If he is an estate agent, it will be a Burton suit.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Mmmm.....just wonder if we are about to get a decade of hideous fashion faux pas from the past.

The beard is back, the shops are full of 70's looking flower power shite (has been threatened every 5 years for the last 20) but finally looks to be being adopted by the young fashionistas, and now the resurgence of the white sock!

Combine this with middle age men, me included, wearing Sergio Tachinni, Fila and Ellesse and we are all doomed I tell ye, DOOMED!!

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
my take ...You can judge a book by its cover...there are of course execptions as no doubt NSCers will point out,,but a well dressed person starts well...and the fat middle aged Man wearing long shorts and designer trainers with ankle white socks...he`s really showing his class.......

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Jacko is a fair bet. Never takes them off.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Sounds awful. Recently spent some time in the states (Georgia) where many men favour a dark suit with with light brown shoes or pale chinos with black shoes, both of which cause an involuntary shudder.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
I did this for a time a good while back and topped it off with a comb sticking out, on show, out of the back pocket of my Red Tags. Bet he wasn't cool enough to do that?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here