Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tom Lawrence

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Rather we went for Tex or someone like Nick Powell.

Why? Neither Tex or Powell are strikers and we're playing 4-4-2. Where do they fit in within that system? If you play 4-4-2 you need a strong centre midfield pairing (which we already have in Kayal and Stephens) and for all his good qualities Tex certainly lacks the strength and tackling ability needed to adopt said role. If we were persisting with a 4-5-1 or 4-3-3, then yes an attacking mid would certainly be needed but I just don't see how he'd fit into the system we've seen so far.

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
Why? Neither Tex or Powell are strikers and we're playing 4-4-2. Where do they fit in within that system? If you play 4-4-2 you need a strong centre midfield pairing (which we already have in Kayal and Stephens) and for all his good qualities Tex certainly lacks the strength and tackling ability needed to adopt said role. If we were persisting with a 4-5-1 or 4-3-3, then yes an attacking mid would certainly be needed but I just don't see how he'd fit into the system we've seen so far.

Powell plays as a secondary striker and Tex can play attacking midfield when we're chasing the game or operate on the wing. I don't think Hughton sticks to a stringent 4-4-2 system, late on in the Huddersfield game he gave LuaLua a 'free' role in attacking midfield. We need different options to provide quality to win us games as these two have both done in the past.

Plus, Lawrence has very limited experience playing in the lower leagues, I'd rather not loan another player who takes 10-15 games to get up to speed.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Not a prolific goal scorer as according to soccerbase he has scored 6 in 31 games in lower league. but could be a back up instead of having 3 or 4 defenders on the bench..

A lot of posters saying we should go for Tex, the one I would ask about is Daniel Powell at MK Dons have always been impressed when I have seen him.

Oct 25, 2005
Hangleton
The HITC seems to be a mixed bag - some correct stories, others nonsense. Although, that Peter Rourke guy who is pretty accurate seems to rate it.

I think this will come to nothing...

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Lawerence in for 6 months, until we get Harper match fit who can then come in and cover on the bench and fill in for Baldock if needed.

Short term cover and another option off the bench why not. However if he is going to get games elsewhere he isnt going to come to us.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Powell plays as a secondary striker and Tex can play attacking midfield when we're chasing the game or operate on the wing. I don't think Hughton sticks to a stringent 4-4-2 system, late on in the Huddersfield game he gave LuaLua a 'free' role in attacking midfield. We need different options to provide quality to win us games as these two have both done in the past.

Plus, Lawrence has very limited experience playing in the lower leagues, I'd rather not loan another player who takes 10-15 games to get up to speed.

I know nothing about Lawrence so can't comment on his experience or lack there of. I just don't think Tex or Powell fit into the system Hughton wants to play. Neither have the instinct of an out and out striker IMO and I'm yet to be convinced with the idea of Tex on the wing (why play a player out of position?). The only way either will really flourish is as an attacking midfielder in a three man midfield which means you have to sacrifice a striker, which seems counter productive if you're chasing the game. Maybe a loan move or on the cheap but I certainly would spend millions.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The HITC seems to be a mixed bag - some correct stories, others nonsense. Although, that Peter Rourke guy who is pretty accurate seems to rate it.

I think this will come to nothing...

I think [MENTION=3566]hans kraay fan club[/MENTION] has already pointed this out but Pete O'Rourke's new job is HITC. He left Sky, presumably to form or run it. As a result he is slightly less reliable in that he doesn't have access to those "Sky sources".

They've still called this one correctly though they had to hedge with us and Charlton. With Gestade gone Blackburn can probably offer more or less a guaranteed start for him whereas he'd probably only be replacing Colunga here.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Blackburn Rovers have announced that Leicester City midfielder Tom Lawrence has signed on loan until 3rd January 2016.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Not a prolific goal scorer as according to soccerbase he has scored 6 in 31 games in lower league. but could be a back up instead of having 3 or 4 defenders on the bench..

A lot of posters saying we should go for Tex, the one I would ask about is Daniel Powell at MK Dons have always been impressed when I have seen him.

Agree with Daniel Powell - liked him at MKD when we played an end of season game with them a few seasons ago and he seems to have come on well.

Oct 25, 2005
Hangleton
I think [MENTION=3566]hans kraay fan club[/MENTION] has already pointed this out but Pete O'Rourke's new job is HITC. He left Sky, presumably to form or run it. As a result he is slightly less reliable in that he doesn't have access to those "Sky sources".

They've still called this one correctly though they had to hedge with us and Charlton. With Gestade gone Blackburn can probably offer more or less a guaranteed start for him whereas he'd probably only be replacing Colunga here.

Yes fair play I was unaware it was his new role and he does seem to get most things right.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here