Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tips on Madeira

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Off to Madeira, Funchal possibly next month.

Great and good of NSC - anyone have any bars and/or restaurant tips -
gratefully received.

Ta in advance.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
No bars or restaurant tips, only health tips: watch you don't have your eye out on this...

f8e6251ad7b04796cf9aeb1f302a4bbe.jpg

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
I saw that there was a Ronaldo museum in Funchal.

Wouldn't be seen dead in it.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Only stopped there for a day on a cruise so can't help with bars/restaurants.

This was fun though. Cable car up to the top of the "mountain" then come back down like this....

[YT]B-bfsC4v-ZE[/YT]

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Take some walking boots with you. Madeira is great for walking. As soon as you arrive book up for a guided walk on the levadas.
Once done you can go out on your own with the aid of maps. We regret not doing the peak to peak.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
The surprisingly high mountains in the centre of the island are spectacular... great walking territory around the Pico de Arieiro :)

GAZTASTIC

Sep 17, 2010
HOVE - JUST
Try The Fort or Armazem do Sal. Both have fixed price menus including wine with every course and The Fort can also arrange a lift home in a classic car after your meal if you fancy. Need to book on both.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
If you hire a car don't be tempted to drive on the 'old' roads over the mountains - they absolutely terrified me!

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
This was really good when I went a few years ago

Cabo Girão

Further along the road from Funchal through Câmara de Lobos and up into the mountains you will arrive at Cabo Girão.

This is the second highest cliff face in the world. Standing at the iron railings of the viewpoint is quite a breathtaking adventure.

The view is incredible and certainly more enjoyable once you retreat from the cliffs edge.

Madeira Cabo Girão new-look!

Cabo Girão now has better road access, shops, a tourist post and furthermore... a glass skywalk at the lookout point. The space is enlarged with a transparent glass walkway similar to that at the famous Grand Canyon, giving visitors an unforgettable experience and stunning views over the cliff.

And the cable car up into the mountains and the botanical gardens is a must too.

Restaurants and bars, nothing to report.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[MENTION=36]Titanic[/MENTION] couldn't have put it any better - "We had a pleasant, fairly quiet holiday there last year".

I'm going back a few years now, but it doesn't strike me as the sort of island that changes much.
Small bananas, lovely garlic bread, awash with stray dogs.

There's plenty of little restaurants in the back streets away from the port, be brave, we didn't have a bad meal anywhere.

Oh and the flight home looked like a UN airlift.
It was full of bandaged pensioners, so tread safely.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here