Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Fifth and Final Ashes Test - England v Australia - The Oval

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
England are leading the five match Ashes series 3-1 after wins at Cardiff, Edgbaston and Trent Bridge and The Ashes are WON... but a 4-1 series result is something worth fighting for.

England Squad: AN Cook*, MM Ali, JM Anderson, JM Bairstow, IR Bell, SCJ Broad, JC Buttler†, ST Finn, A Lyth, LE Plunkett, AU Rashid, JE Root, BA Stokes, MA Wood

Australia Squad MJ Clarke*, SPD Smith, PJ Cummins, Fawad Ahmed, BJ Haddin†, JR Hazlewood, MG Johnson, NM Lyon, MR Marsh, SE Marsh, PM Nevill†, CJL Rogers, PM Siddle, MA Starc, AC Voges, DA Warner, SR Watson

With Jimmy Anderson still unfit due to a side strain, and the Oval pitch likely to be greener than usual... England will almost certainly be unchanged, with Broad, Finn and Wood leading the attack.

Who knows what Australia will do in Michael Clarke and Chris Roger's last Test Match?

Last edited:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
The weather forecast is cloudy, warm and humid, with an outside chance of showers.

Sounds like it might be a bowling day again... but it is very hard to insert a team at the Oval!

The Convicts have nothing to lose now, I fully expect them to relax and smash us all over the place.

But then I know bugger all about Cricket.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The final countdown for the Aussie captain, hopefully we will wreak havoc and smash them (again)

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
fc,550x550,asphalt.u4.jpg

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I had a bet on for a 5 - 0 to England, I know very hopeful, but who knows what would have happened if we had won the toss at Lords.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Will the conditions negate any attempt at a Chief Execs pitch? On form this is gonna last less than four days.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think this match is important for England. Australia showed that even with the Ashes won, finishing on a high very much propels you onto the next series...after their 5-0, they went on to beat South Africa.

This match isn't a rubber, it's very much the platform for a tricky short series in Pakistan, followed by what really is one of the biggest tests at the moment - away to South Africa.

COME ON ENGLAND!

p.s. any tips of smuggling a bottle of champagne into the Oval on Saturday? I'm thinking a tetra-pak orange juice carton, but will it destroy the fizz!?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Rumblings of Peter Siddle and Mitch Marsh in for Shaun Marsh and Josh Hazlewood... have we seen the last of Haddin and Watson as well as Clarke and Rogers?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
How many days have we lost due to early finishes this series?

I bet the ECB have begged the Oval groundsman to make this as flat as possible to get 5 days worth of revenue in.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Titanic starts thread - tick
England win toss - tick
England bowl in English conditions - tick

4-1. Sorted

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

I bet the ECB have begged the Oval groundsman to make this as flat as possible to get 5 days worth of revenue in.

I think only the weather would make that happen... I am glad my tickets are for tomorrow!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

1st Test: Eng win on day 4
2nd Test: Aus win on day 4
3rd Test: Eng win on day 3
4th Test: Eng win on day 3

I think those are right? If so, 6 days 'lost'.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
England: A Lyth, AN Cook*, IR Bell, JE Root, JM Bairstow, BA Stokes, JC Buttler†, MM Ali, SCJ Broad, MA Wood, ST Finn

Australia: CJL Rogers, DA Warner, SPD Smith, MJ Clarke*, AC Voges, MR Marsh, PM Nevill†, MG Johnson, PM Siddle, MA Starc, NM Lyon

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Very good toss to win. Humid and overcast. Need to get this one over with quickly as the weather doesn't look great over the coming days.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Very good toss to win. Humid and overcast. Need to get this one over with quickly as the weather doesn't look great over the coming days.

Eh!? Looks nice until Monday. Saturday looks sunny most of the day, tomorrow looks fine.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here