Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What impact has there been on Falmer Village?

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Into the fifth season at the Amex now, and what's the impact been on the local residents that protested?

There's clearly been some parking issues judging by the permits saga but apart from that, anything else negative? Busier roads twice a month maybe?

On the flip side their local station has improved considerably and the pub probably makes more on a matchday than it used to take in 6 months!

Have I missed something obvious? Were the years of campaigning worth it?

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I doubt whether it's been anything like what was envisaged. Only the villagers can really answer that question though.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
If you ask a falmer resident I'm sure they would say it was not too bad and: "well, we thought it was going to be a lot worse than it is"!

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
When does the bat/ vehicle collision data get published, does anybody know?

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
They are still counting. Up to none so far.

Good times! Must have been all the signage the club paid for on the A27.

bat-cave-400x297.jpg

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
All the objections that they raised I would have thought have proved to be groundless. On a more positive note they get to see Police Officers on the beat on a far more regular basis then the rest of the community who if they're lucky may get a PCO walking past their home once every blue moon

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Bat/vehicle collision ? I know nothing of this. Do tell.

At some stage in the Albion's campaign for Falmer (I think off the top of my head it was part of the public enquiry phase), one of the NIMBY spokesman declared that the building of a football stadium in the location would lead to an increase in bat-vehicle collisions.

That's cars hitting bats, not RTCs involving the Batmobile, to be clear.

So far, I've yet so see any evidence of bat-carnage around the Amex, so their fears appear to be- would you believe it?- unfounded.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
At some stage in the Albion's campaign for Falmer (I think off the top of my head it was part of the public enquiry phase), one of the NIMBY spokesman declared that the building of a football stadium in the location would lead to an increase in bat-vehicle collisions.

So far, I've yet so see any evidence of bat-carnage around the Amex, so their fears appear to be- would you believe it?- unfounded.

I'm fairly sure that Tom Hark Preston Park's hilarious anecdote of that day's hearing, is in Nsc Gold.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

Just as likely to have bats crashing into trees in a forest.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I'm fairly sure that Tom Hark Preston Park's hilarious anecdote of that day's hearing, is in Nsc Gold.

I tried to search for it, but I think my search parameters were a little wide & I got thousands of potential threads :)

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
There is always a temptation for protest groups to overegg their position but the Falmer villagers, aided by the Brighton-loathing great and good of Lewes district and cheered on by the press and others who saw a cracking David & Goliath story, succumbed more than most. Some organisations (ie CPRE) and some people (ie Baker and the frankly nasty Lewes LibDem establishment) made absolute pratts of themselves, damaging their own credibility and, more seriously, creating delays that cost the club millions. I hope they have the good grace to feel a bit silly.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
For what it's worth, we've grown out of raping and pillaging Falmer residents. But they were right to fear us as part of the NIMBY objections. Now it's just the towns and villages on the London to Brighton line that we target on matchdays.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
A work colleague is a Woodingdean resident, who hates it, purely for traffic snarl up reasons.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

One of the expert witnesses at the enquiry said that following an exhaustive study, it was found that there were no bats in the vicinity of Falmer.
To which the LDC lawyer replied: "But you accept that there is an increased risk of vehicle/bat collision."

Just one of the more surreal sessions I sat through.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here