Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Barber observation (from last night)

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
I sat in the row one next to Paul Barber in the directors' box last night - he was the most senior of the Albion 'VIPS' in attendance (well if you discount Calderon and Peter Smith, ex-player now agent, who were also in the 'good seats' yesterday!!)

Barber is often bashed on here for a multitude of sins, both in jest and with feeling, but seeing how much he actually 'got into the game' last night clearly showed his passion for the club/team. Normally people in the directors' box sit there like lemons and do NOTHING all game, but he went up in my expectations last night and showed he cared......which, as a fan, is what I want to see. That is all

P.S. Fair play to the hundreds that made that god-awful trip, but you were put to shame by the 'Udderfield singing section to your right. No noise coming from our away section at all..........but perhaps everyone was in shock after what happened after the first 20seconds?!!!!!

P.P.S We are playing with ten men only at the moment and carrying March - second time I've seen him this season and both times he has been pants in my opinion. Get Murphy on from the start please

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Interesting. Although I have to say listening to the game on the radio, our fans sounded no quieter than the home support.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I sat in the row one next to Paul Barber in the directors' box last night - he was the most senior of the Albion 'VIPS' in attendance

PB is a salaried member of staff. Is he 'more senior' than shareholders Ray Bloom or Derek Chapman?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Every time we tried to start a chant, the Huddersfield lot tried to drown it out with their drum and chants. We did make noise, but maybe you couldn't tell which was which, as some of their chants were the same as ours, but obviously, with different words.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
The only board member there you say? Goodness, something pretty big must have happened to keep Peter Godfrey away.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I think he does a good job, and is the sort of bloke you need running things in the modern day. No surprise to hear that he gets behind the team either; his job must be about 100 times easier, and with far fewer fan emails to respond to, when results are going our way.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Barbster came across as having genuine love for BHA when he came to our Seagulls Over Burwash meeting. Yes, he has to reel off the same pre-meditated bollocks at times, but that's his job. I believe he cares about us a lot...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I sat in the row one next to Paul Barber in the directors' box last night - he was the most senior of the Albion 'VIPS' in attendance (well if you discount Calderon and Peter Smith, ex-player now agent, who were also in the 'good seats' yesterday!!)

Barber is often bashed on here for a multitude of sins, both in jest and with feeling, but seeing how much he actually 'got into the game' last night clearly showed his passion for the club/team. Normally people in the directors' box sit there like lemons and do NOTHING all game, but he went up in my expectations last night and showed he cared......which, as a fan, is what I want to see. That is all

P.S. Fair play to the hundreds that made that god-awful trip, but you were put to shame by the 'Udderfield singing section to your right. No noise coming from our away section at all..........but perhaps everyone was in shock after what happened after the first 20seconds?!!!!!

P.P.S We are playing with ten men only at the moment and carrying March - second time I've seen him this season and both times he has been pants in my opinion. Get Murphy on from the start please

I'd clap my hands for half a million a year as well :smile:

Cheers Paul,what time did you get back?

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Same here. Especially if some sycophant goes and fawns over me for it afterwards just for doing so.

Ohhhhhhhhhh, that hurt old man.

The point I was TRYING to make was that Barber is often accused of having no passion for the team, is all about cutting costs, maximising profits, etc, etc.

So I thought it might be worthwhile to let people know that he does seem like a genuine supporter, which surely as fans is what we want - I expected him to sit like a mute during the game, which he didn't. And that is why I posted what I did - so unless you are going to post anything worthwhile to the thread old man, **** off

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
He is the CEO, there is no surprise he went or that he is passionate. The success of the Albion is the success of PB. That is what drives CEOs

Last edited:

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Well I know he takes flak, and I can't think why. He reputedly is well paid, but my guess is he is he pays his way and is worth every penny of that. I don't know him, have never spoken to him. But for my money he's the best signing Tony Bloom has made for the club, and if he left we'd be the poorer and many other clubs would be fighting for his input.
Not at all surprised of his reaction last night, only surprised why a minority don't appreciate him. :smile:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here