Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

IAAF President Sebastian Coe.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I can't think of anyone better than Coe to clean up that sport. He's vehemently opposed to PEDs, driven, and with a massive attention to detail. If he can't do it, I don't think think anyone will...

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
I think Coe is a good man but be under no illusion he is part of the Tory Elite, Establishment through and through. I sound like a conspiracy theorist but it is a fact. He will have no problem is continuing a cover-up if it suits the right people, don't expect massive changes. I hope he proves me wrong I really do.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't know about that, but I doubt he will want to do much that will tarnish the memories of the 2012 Olympics.

He is an establishment man. Is it in his interest to clean up athletics ?
Cleaning up athletics would appear to be only in the interest of The Sunday Times.
Which is a sad indictment of the IAAF, The IOC and British Athletics.

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
Not much of a choice between Bubka and Coe. I am cynical Coe will do much. As others have said, he is an establishment figure. He will protect the status quo. You can be sure of that, sadly.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just read that she fears that the release of her blood results could be misinterpreted or misunderstood ?? Bizarre - surely they can be released and also presented in a way that can be both clear and precise?????
It's not quite that simple.

Blood values in isolation can look very misleading.
Her red blood cell count, the bit you manipulate with EPO, will vary depending on her training.
Therefore if tested straight after a month of high intensity altitude training the count will be massively higher than any test done 2 weeks after her seasons main target.

Now as much as that will be clear to anyone doing 30 seconds of research, would you trust, say The Daily Mail, to do 30 seconds of accurate research when your entire reputation and life's work is at stake?

Fortunately for Athletics it would appear the IAAF didn't actually do that many blood tests, so she doesn't have a problem.

A few years ago cycling introduced a biological passport.
Plotted on said record is all the riders results, all the peaks and troughs within the allowed margins.
I believe athletics now has a similar system although once again it's only as good as the quality and quantity of testing.

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
If people trusted the system there would be no need to debate about individual sportspeople releasing their own records, Coe needs to work on a future independent testing service. One that is able to keep up with the cheaters and the science

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Insisted that a dreadful stadium be built and that it would also not be easily converted to football afterwards costing tens of millions.
Self centred, irritating man

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here