Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

An Academic Question: If Albion Had Built The Amex At Waterhall

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Obviously an academic question as we are nicely settled now, but had the Falmer proposals had issues preventing an application being viable, yet Waterhall had all its obstacles removed, I wonder whether the site would ever have been a similar success or not.

Would the transport have been any smoother ? Would the match day experience have been as good ? Would the site have been more convenient for some and not for others ?

I heard at the time that the the railway authorities would have considered building a halt. I don't know how true that was.

Also, if both sites had been regarded as locations that would have got the green light, and gone to a vote, I wonder how many folk would actually, with no benefit of hindsight, chosen Waterhall over Falmer.

Obviously, all the pondering is based on the question as being relevant after Archer etc had gone, as opposed to before.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I have an alternative question. What DAFUK made you think of this at 2.18 am?

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I have an alternative question. What DAFUK made you think of this at 2.18 am?

Insomnia. I try asking myself questions that require logistical thinking. My brain eventually gives up and sends me to sleep. What's your excuse ?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Insomnia. I try asking myself questions that require logistical thinking. My brain eventually gives up and sends me to sleep. What's your excuse ?

Also insomnia, never made me question the location of the Amex though. Way back, I had a fanciful idea of building a third pier with the Stadium at the end, a bit bonkers but when every piece of land we looked at threw up problems, it might have flown.

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Also insomnia, never made me question the location of the Amex though. Way back, I had a fanciful idea of building a third pier with the Stadium at the end, a bit bonkers but when every piece of land we looked at threw up problems, it might have flown.

I've sent my brain back 15 years and told it to work on that one. I'm getting tired at last !

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Rather talk about Lewis Dunk

Discodoktor

Apr 28, 2011
Guildford

Personally I preferred the stadium to have been built under the sea. Just think of all the away fans that would want to come. It would have been totally unique.

Barbers fault

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
It was illegal, therefore impossible, to build a halt at Waterhall then or ever as the length of open track was too short between two tunnels

When I was a public transport planner for the Council, I got involved in many a discussion with the Railway people about the possibility of a station being built at Waterhall, not just to serve a football stadium, but for things like a rail-based park and ride scheme for Brighton, or better access to commuter services to London. The Railway people were consistently lukewarm about the idea.

The other objection to any major development at Waterhall has always been the impact on the water table.

... And there's no way that a high frequency football service could be provided without seriously disrupting the busy main line service that must be kept going at the same time. That's not an issue on the Brighton - Lewes line.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It was illegal, therefore impossible, to build a halt at Waterhall then or ever as the length of open track was too short between two tunnels

Yes, I remember this came out during the enquiry

There is already a disused halt in Patcham. It used to be the next stop after Preston Park

I've never heard of this. It's not on any of the pre-Beeching maps I've seen and it's not mentioned in an early 20th century guidebook of Brighton that I have. When was this in existence?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
my mate and I sat at the top of mill hill (RIP Dougie) discussing this when it was muted, we thought it was a good idea,until all of the above objections including I think the removal of the waterworks.
we went to all of the suggested sites but not Falmer dougie had gone by then but I am sure he would have loved the idea of Falmer he would undoubtedly have been a ST holder and its only a short journey from Woodingdean

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Given the number of mobile homes that pitch up at Waterhall on a regular basis I think we would have been a joke club due to the number of home games postponed for health and safety issues outside the ground.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here