Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Duty free tobacco

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
When the restrictions on duty free were fist lifted there were companies that you could order tobacco and cigs from in Europe and have them posted to the Uk. Has this now been made illegal as I couldnt find any websites for it. I dont smoke but my sons do.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I had mouth cancer in 1995 through smoking and that hasnt stopped them so just trying to save them money.

I couldnt believe my daughter in law when she said a 50gm Old Holborn is now £24 in the uk.

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
I've not had a cigarette in 10 weeks now. All thanks to an ecig.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
When the restrictions on duty free were fist lifted there were companies that you could order tobacco and cigs from in Europe and have them posted to the Uk. Has this now been made illegal as I couldnt find any websites for it. I dont smoke but my sons do.
Find a nice little corner shop run by a group of young Kurds, Afghans, or similar. They will oblige.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i swear you must live in a parallel universe BensGrandad, with NSC creating a portal between our planes of reality. it was always illegal to bring in untaxed tobacco (or drink) except for personal use, and Old Holborn 50g is under £19. take a day trip to France, fill your boot, like everyone else.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
http://www.tobacco-alley.be/aboutus.html

You have to go and get it. Look for cheap ferry deals, and if you buy the max. it pays for the trip plus the smoking is cheaper. Haven't needed to do it for ten years or so , things may have changed.
The internet posting firms hardly got off the ground, drugs through the post or some nonsense.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We usually bring it back from our holidays for them but miscalculated coming home from Cyprus and not gpoing away again until October. We looked at ferries and channel tunnel for a day trip but the prices are stupid and you would need to buy in excess of 100 packets to make it a reasonably viable trip.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
i swear you must live in a parallel universe BensGrandad, with NSC creating a portal between our planes of reality. it was always illegal to bring in untaxed tobacco (or drink) except for personal use, and Old Holborn 50g is under £19. take a day trip to France, fill your boot, like everyone else.

That is what we have done in the past, if not going abroad on holidayin the near future. At the moment it is £199 on the ferries £245 on the train. The prices do drop in September but that doesnt help them now as they have run out, my fault.

Come December The Sun will be doing a £1 per person passsage pobbly.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
BG is correct - there were sites you could use a while back who would post over cigs and bacca. They used to break it down into smaller parcels so it didn't look like cigs :lol:

Not a clue if they still in existence though - only used them once. The issue would come if they got intercepted and never arrived though..

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Forgive me, but you suffered cancer caused by smoking which you have now stopped yet you seem willing to bend over backwards to get the stuff for your sons!!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

I don't smoke and even I know France isn't really cheaper than the UK these days.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I travel quite regularly and My old man smokes, but I never think about buying him cigs, even though they are much cheaper in Asia/Middle East. The thought of buying cigs for anyone in my family just feels completely wrong!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Have you tried switching it off and back on again?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
That is what we have done in the past, if not going abroad on holidayin the near future. At the moment it is £199 on the ferries £245 on the train. The prices do drop in September but that doesnt help them now as they have run out, my fault.

Have a word with yourself BG! For goodness sake, your sons are adults - how on earth is it YOUR fault that they've run out of cheap cancer sticks?

SAC

May 21, 2014
I travel quite regularly and My old man smokes, but I never think about buying him cigs, even though they are much cheaper in Asia/Middle East. The thought of buying cigs for anyone in my family just feels completely wrong!

And illegal.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
I don't smoke and even I know France isn't really cheaper than the UK these days.

Not sure I agree with you, there is still a huge saving to be had in France on cigarettes compared to the UK.

Camel cost me £4.86 in France last week, they are £8.99 in my local shop over here.

Nigh on half the price in fact.

Bones

Oct 25, 2006
Portslade

Get yourself over to Gibraltar.

200 fags £19
5 x 50g pouches Golden Vag £20

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Get yourself over to Gibraltar.

200 fags £19
5 x 50g pouches Golden Vag £20

You can get similar prices in many working men's clubs I find.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here