Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Microsoft Windows advice please.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
My lap top literally fell to pieces at end of last week and I have replaced same.

My old laptop was Vista and my new one is 8.1 with a free upgrade to 10, if wanted.

The problem is I have had mixed reviews about 10. A mate of mine downloaded an upgrade but has since reverted back, not liking 10..

I was told as I purchased the new laptop that 10 is very similar to Vista and may prefer.

Bottom line is what good or bad experiences you have had and what would your preference be.

ps. Was there ever a 9?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
You'll hate it, but you are also stuck with it. Presume you've managed to transfer your files. Windows 8 was built for touch screens and is very hard on a laptop.
My problem was I use sage accounts that does not work on 8.1 or 10 so had to reboot an old XP box to run it.
I bought my laptop from PC World (I know) but got free 1 month service to their help line and boy did I need it. I found that email was tricky.
One year on I manage.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Installed it today. I was also on 8.1.

So far it's great. It's NOTHING like vista. The main difference you'll notice if you're not a mega tech geek is that when you click start in Windows 10, you get a nice little start menu pop up instead of those big horrible tiles on a separate screen.

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
I recently upgraded from 8. whatever to windows 10 and to be honest I think I preferred windows 8. Not sure if it's just a case of what you get used to so I'll give it more time. There was no windows 9 because, get ready for computer nerd joke, 7 ate 9 !

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I thought Windows 10 was a free upgrade anyway so hopefully the place that you brought it from wasn't trying to use this as a selling point.

There was no Windows 9, my guess is that it was skipped because it may have led to confusion with Windows 95 & 98.

I have Windows 8. whatever but yet to upgrade but probably will at some point soon so i am interested to see what the general thought is about Windows 8 vs Windows 10 and whether it's worthwhile doing. (i assume Windows 8 won't continue to be developed / supported for much longer and they may have already stopped?)

thony

Jul 24, 2011
Hollingbury
If you haven't yet got used to Windows 8.1, you might as well upgrade to 10 and get used to that instead. It will mean your OS will be supported for a lot longer, added to which it's a better operating system for a desktop or non-touchscreen laptop. A recent cumulative update seems to have fixed the problems I had with Microsoft Edge, so everything seems to be working fine now.
The one caveat: when you first log into W10, don't accept the default options of sharing all your information with Microsoft. Scroll down to the button that lets you customise what you share, and turn off anything you're not happy to share.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Only problem I had with 8 (apart from the stupid tiles which you can avoid by installing a start button app) was the 135 updates that needed installing and constantly crashed my new PC.

Once I'd installed them bit by bit I then upgraded to 10. No issues whatsoever so far.

ringmerseagulltoo

Feb 16, 2012
If you wait for a couple of hours, I am sure you will have a phone call from a very helpful gentleman who knows you have a problem with your Windows operating system and will sort it out for you over the phone. I am sure he is honest as every time he calls me he assures me he is not lying and knows I have a problem with my Windows computer. That does seem a little strange as we only have Apples but I am sure he knows best.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
I've been using Windows 10 for months via the Technical preview builds. My opinion (which, as a new member here, you can feel free to ignore :p) is that Windows 10 combines the best bits of Win 7 and the best bits of Win 8.1 into a package that makes it the best Windows version yet.

There will definitely be some adjustment time needed - especially making the jump from Vista all the way to 10 - but I'd definitely suggest upgrading to 10 and giving it a jolly good workout for a few months. Especially as 10 will be less of a culture shock to you as a Vista vet than 8.1 would be (8.1 was built primarily for tablets, and it shows).

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Thanks for advice guys.

I have the option to upgrade to 10 for free until end of September.

As said, may be best to upgrade to 10 now before I get set in my ways with 8.1.

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
Windows 10 would be great if it worked, but ever since I upgraded from 8.1, my start button keeps malfunctioning. There is a fix for it, but it's not long before it stops working again.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Just one final question.

When you upgrade to 10 do you lose all your documents etc. in 8.1 or should I save docs elsewhere then download again into 10?

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Ahhhh Windows problems.

#LovingMacLife

Windows_Vs_Mac_Vs_Linux_10.jpg

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Bought a laptop myself recently and upgraded straight away. No problems here, ten is fine.

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
Just one final question.

When you upgrade to 10 do you lose all your documents etc. in 8.1 or should I save docs elsewhere then download again into 10?

You don't lose your documents, but when I upgraded, my Microsoft Office wouldn't work anymore. Windows 10 couldn't associate my documents with MS Word, but I think they fixed it in an update. My anti virus caused a few problems as well, and i've read that it's caused problems for a lot of other upgraders too; that's been sorted out as well though, but you might have to reinstall the latest version of your anti virus.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
From a computer idiots point of view; I upgraded one of the laptops from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 & regretted it! This was in the first days it was available & I didn't realise is was not compatible with AVG security. It also failed to take my AVG PC tune up over. Needless to say without security I was 'hacked' that night & my friends had lots of 'lovely' emails. I had to resort to Avira security [not very user friendly] until AVG provided an answer. I had to reload AVG PC tune up from scratch. Also Skype sound would not work & in the end I had to remove & re-install So frustrated was I that I wanted to take the option of switching back to 8.1, but no, when I tried to I was informed the option was not possible. 2 weeks on I've sorted, by trial & error, the issues and just get on with it! One thing I did do was to turn Cortana off, wish I could do that with my Windows phone. Needless to say I'll retain the other laptop on 8.1.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here