Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

UKIP were right about Europe all along!

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Fears are growing in the British supermarket industry about the possible introduction of a backwards European law. But I'm pretty sure the Torries will protect the interests of British businesses, thus protecting us all. Get this in France they have a law that means excessive food that is perfectly edible and can't be sold, can't be put in a bin and covered with bleach! It has to and here is the sickening part, given to charities!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33907737

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
John Oliver did a section of his show covering food waste in America. What people forget is that it will cost businesses money to arrange for the sorting, collection, and distribution of perfectly edible unsaleable food. They have to pay staff and cost and storage etc. In America there is a temporary tax incentive, that would allow them to write off the costs, but as it is temporary a lot of business don't do it because the incentive may be taken away leaving them with a hefty cost.

My point is, while it is admirable and makes sense to donate these foods, what about the (not insubstantial) costs?

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
Fears are growing in the British supermarket industry about the possible introduction of a backwards European law. But I'm pretty sure the Torries will protect the interests of British businesses, thus protecting us all. Get this in France they have a law that means excessive food that is perfectly edible and can't be sold, can't be put in a bin and covered with bleach! It has to and here is the sickening part, given to charities!

Anyone who has read the lisbon treaty will know that European law supersedes our high court, so if this does become law in the EU it is really tough **** to British businesses, but we all know they don't we.

The Member States shall facilitate the achievement of the Union's tasks and refrain from any measure which could jeopardise the attainment of the Union's objectives. This includes laws made in EU parliament which there are many.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
John Oliver did a section of his show covering food waste in America. What people forget is that it will cost businesses money to arrange for the sorting, collection, and distribution of perfectly edible unsaleable food. They have to pay staff and cost and storage etc. In America there is a temporary tax incentive, that would allow them to write off the costs, but as it is temporary a lot of business don't do it because the incentive may be taken away leaving them with a hefty cost.

My point is, while it is admirable and makes sense to donate these foods, what about the (not insubstantial) costs?

Look on the bright side, they wouldn't spend so much on bleach, and they could pay for it instead of making huge donations to the Tory party

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
I did become a paid up member of Nigel's army but now have reverted back to the Conservatives on the basis that we Do get a European referendum and that Cameron keeps his promise on a Bill of UK rights. I'm quite happy to be in Europe but not ruled by Europe.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm struggling to see why legislating against this ridiculous waste is wrong.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They would do the same thing they do with all other costs, pass it on to the customer.

Not that I have a problem with that, it's a small price to pay to help a huge amount of people in need.

I'm struggling to see how putting the food in a bin marked Oxfam is more costly than putting it in a bin marked land-fill.

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
I did become a paid up member of Nigel's army but now have reverted back to the Conservatives on the basis that we Do get a European referendum and that Cameron keeps his promise on a Bill of UK rights. I'm quite happy to be in Europe but not ruled by Europe.

No chance of that whilst we are in the EU that will always be the case. Please take time and read the lisbon treaty. Our sovereignty has been signed away by 6 prime ministers and Cameron is just another who is not going to get it back.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
No chance of that whilst we are in the EU that will always be the case. Please take time and read the lisbon treaty. Our sovereignty has been signed away by 6 prime ministers and Cameron is just another who is not going to get it back.

Blimey, I didn't know New Zealand was in the EU

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
I imagine if this is going to cost supermarkets any money then they will simply ensure the food is sold in store rather than have it go to waste. It may mean more bargains for shoppers.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

Now we know why that woman who bled the children's charity dry is now planning to open a food kitchen charity for children. I think I am playing Devils Advocate there because i do think that all proposed food waste should go to charities if possible

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
No its not. The problem is the EU suggested it, and not the British government. I think. Otherwise, not seeing a downside really.

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
I know someone who works for Greggs the bakers. They used to give all their excess food to the homeless at the end of the day but got sued as one of them got a burnt mouth from a sausage roll. Now they have to bin it all.

Crazy times we live in folks.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I know someone who works for Greggs the bakers. They used to give all their excess food to the homeless at the end of the day but got sued as one of them got a burnt mouth from a sausage roll. Now they have to bin it all.

Crazy times we live in folks.

I'm really sorry but I don't believe this. Can you provide any evidence that it isn't just one more straight banana story?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
did anyone actually read the article? its only just come in over in France and the only person speculating this will come here at this point is the journalist. the problems are many for both the supermarket (cost of sorting, delivery, liability) and the charity (infrastructure to receive, storage, collection, disposal). it doesn't address the main source of food waste, the consumer (and unsaid in the article, over production in some cases). its a good example of well intentioned law that doesnt concern itself with implementation.

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
Blimey, I didn't know New Zealand was in the EU

Location is a bit deceptive. Not the right thread but we could learn a thing or three from the immigration policies of NZ and Australia. Back in the UK for now and yes looking at state of many things like the EU and mass uncontrolled unskilled immigration, radical islam and the liblabcon maybe it was not the right move. However, at least the Albion are top of the league :)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
did anyone actually read the article? its only just come in over in France and the only person speculating this will come here at this point is the journalist. the problems are many for both the supermarket (cost of sorting, delivery, liability) and the charity (infrastructure to receive, storage, collection, disposal). it doesn't address the main source of food waste, the consumer (and unsaid in the article, over production in some cases). its a good example of well intentioned law that doesnt concern itself with implementation.

"cost of sorting, delivery, liability" - this is the usual argument isn't it, followed by "passed onto the customer". My take with this sort of response it that it's plain lazy, and there will no doubt be a more responsible, imaginative and efficient company to step in snd take your place. And surely we want to encourage "more responsible, imaginative and efficient" business as it benefits everyone .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here