Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BoB75 - The Hardest Day

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
This may be of interest to anyone who is into the Battle of Britain. 24 Spitfires / Hurricanes are taking off from Biggin Hill at lunchtime today (approx. 1pm - 2pm) & heading across the SE to the IOW, Kent, W Sussex, Surrey etc. in 3 different flight paths / formations to remember what has become known as "The Hardest Day" on 18 Aug 1940.... Keep those eyes on the skies!

http://www.kentnews.co.uk/news/bigg...act_battle_of_britain_s_hardest_day_1_4198211

Last edited:

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Mrs Jakarta and I are just back from Biggin Hill. In the end there were only five Hurricanes which was, I believe, two more than the Film makers had when BoB was made back in 1967! The sixteen Spitfires ranged from Mk1's to what looked like a clipped wing Mk16 along with two twin seaters and a Seafire.

For some reason a Mustang in British markings (which obviously wouldn't have flown in the Battle) was included. I can only presume it was to make up for the missing Hurricane.

Amazing to watch 24 Warbirds take off, for me you can't beat the sound of massed Merlin engines (well a few of the later Marks had Griffons but you know what I mean).

When they came back from their flights we were treated to formation aerobatics and when they landed they were put into three flight lines and the punters allowed to walk along and photograph them. At that range even a cack handed amateur like me could get some good shots. Unfortunately I don't seem to able to attach photos to NSC.

Marvellous Scenes indeed.... :thumbsup:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
A few Spitfires flew over north Essex / south Cambs a short while ago, very low and in formation, on their final approach back into Duxford. Great stuff

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Oh and if anyone is interested there is a book by Alfred Price about the 18th of August 1940, not surprisingly entitled The Hardest Day.

It goes into meticulous detail about each of the Day's raids and as far as possible documents how every aircraft was lost in one of the Appendices.

It includes some amazing photos of the low level Kenley Raid as it made its way across Sussex from one of the Dornier 17s that took part.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Mrs Jakarta and I are just back from Biggin Hill. In the end there were only five Hurricanes which was, I believe, two more than the Film makers had when BoB was made back in 1967! The sixteen Spitfires ranged from Mk1's to what looked like a clipped wing Mk16 along with two twin seaters and a Seafire.

For some reason a Mustang in British markings (which obviously wouldn't have flown in the Battle) was included. I can only presume it was to make up for the missing Hurricane.

Amazing to watch 24 Warbirds take off, for me you can't beat the sound of massed Merlin engines (well a few of the later Marks had Griffons but you know what I mean).

When they came back from their flights we were treated to formation aerobatics and when they landed they were put into three flight lines and the punters allowed to walk along and photograph them. At that range even a cack handed amateur like me could get some good shots. Unfortunately I don't seem to able to attach photos to NSC.

Marvellous Scenes indeed.... :thumbsup:

You certainly know your aircraft fella! Respect.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here