Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[O/T] Anyone well versed in US Immigration laws?

Dec 29, 2011
Next month I'll be travelling to Mexico via the US. My flight terminates on the US border (US side) and I'll cross the Mexican border by car. I'll be staying in Mexico for 7 months (on a tourist visa which I apply for in Mexico) and then returning to the UK via the US on a booked flight.

Apparently my ESTA can't be used as time in The United States and Mexico count as part of the 90 day period, and I'll be in Mexico longer than 90 days. Does anyone know if this is true, and if so what I can do about it? Is it too late to apply for a B-2 visa, I leave in one month.

Anyone in the broad knowledge of NSC know anything about this, or details of anyone in the Brighton area who can advise on this sort of stuff?

Edit: To clarify my flight terminates on the US border (US side) and I'll be leaving the country by land border on the day of arrival.

Last edited:

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
I don't mean to be funny or critical - but I can't follow half of your post. It's like some form of puzzle.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Hmmm. Sounds like a bit of a pickle as you're not going to be leaving the US by air, and will be walking out the terminal building. Can you not get a flight to Tijuana? Would that help at all?

Sorry, can't be any more use than that.

Dec 29, 2011
I don't mean to be funny or critical - but I can't follow half of your post. It's like some form of puzzle.

No you're right, I've just re-read it and it makes no sense. I'll accredit it to being in a state of panic right now. I've had this trip planned for a long time and it's cost a lot of money, never occurred to me I'd need a US visa to visit Mexico though!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Next month I'll be travelling to Mexico via the US. My flight terminates on the US border (US side) and I'll cross the Mexican border by car. I'll be staying in Mexico for 7 months (on a tourist visa which I apply for in Mexico) and then returning to the UK via the US on a booked flight.

Apparently my ESTA can't be used as time in The United States and Mexico count as part of the 90 day period, and I'll be in Mexico longer than 90 days. Does anyone know if this is true, and if so what I can do about it? Is it too late to apply for a B-2 visa, I leave in one month.

Anyone in the broad knowledge of NSC know anything about this, or details of anyone in the Brighton area who can advise on this sort of stuff?

Edit: To clarify my flight terminates on the US border (US side) and I'll be leaving the country by land border on the day of arrival.

I'd ring the US embassy and clarify what you need. You can get the relevant visa within a month if you're a straight forward case I.e. Don't have a funny surname, are white and don't have a criminal record. Probably best to shave off any beard you might have also.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Definitely contact the U.S. Embassy.

Bear in mind, the ESTA visa waiver doesn't apply to huge numbers of UK-based people, so for anything out of the ordinary - and without following the intricacies, your case is that - you have to go to the embassy for an interview to get a visa. You're cutting it a bit fine timewise so I'd get on with it. And the embassy people are very nice to deal with.

Whatever you do, don't take any risks or chance your luck by going without getting this sorted first. They have no problem whatsoever slinging people out at the border or detaining them for ages or whatever.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
I would get into contact with Donald Trump's Twitter handle he normally has some sage advice about the U.S./Mexico border.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here