Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chief Execs Earn '183 Times More Than Workers'

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Despite having been CEO of listed businesses (none being FTSE 100 though) for a couple of decades on and off, there is absolutely no justification for these obscene numbers, either in relative or absolute terms. At the moment, my salary is <7 times higher than the lowest paid FT employee in any business I'm involved in and about 2.5-3x the average. More than enough differential, imo.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
At the moment, my salary is <7 times higher than the lowest paid FT employee in any business I'm involved in
What do you mean by 'in any business I'm involved in'? Does that mean that you have more than one salary that is several times higher than other employees?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
salaries have no relation to multiples of what others are earning, maybe some differential to reflect seniority withing departments, but that's about as far as relative as earnings get. this subject is essentially the same as footballers salaries, we are all aghast at what top players earn, but in the end reluctantly accept thats the market rate knowing the "talent" will go elsewhere.

(and Goldstone1976, 65-78k for a listed company CEO is woefully underpaid, i'd expect senior mangers to be on that and directors to be well into 6 figures. thats you look out.)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
There were disgraceful scenes in The Jolly Gardeners, Putney on Saturday evening as some corporate fatcats exchanged tales of their richness and the like.

I nearly choked on my cider.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
This has to be massive skewed by finance firms and firms with large amounts of minimum wage jobs. I know what the CEO of my Ltd earns and its maybe 3-4x average and 8x the lowest full-timer; and the overarching Plc CEO isn't paid many multiples of her salary either. LSE listed but not FTSE 100 firm.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
What do you mean by 'in any business I'm involved in'? Does that mean that you have more than one salary that is several times higher than other employees?

Nope. It means I'm involved in several businesses who each contribute to my salary which, in aggregate, is <7 times the salary of the lowest paid FT employee and about 2.5-3x the average of any employee in any of those businesses. I know the multiplier against the lowest paid employee because that's something I track very carefully - both the multiplier and the actual salary of the lowest paid employees (I've talked before on here about my views concerning the minimum wage and living wage); whereas I'm having to guess what the average salary across all of the businesses is - hence the range.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
(and Goldstone1976, 65-78k for a listed company CEO is woefully underpaid, i'd expect senior mangers to be on that and directors to be well into 6 figures. thats you look out.)

...Or, you assume that the lowest paid FT employee is paid a lot less than they actually are......

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Despite having been CEO of listed businesses (none being FTSE 100 though) for a couple of decades on and off, there is absolutely no justification for these obscene numbers, either in relative or absolute terms. At the moment, my salary is <7 times higher than the lowest paid FT employee in any business I'm involved in and about 2.5-3x the average. More than enough differential, imo.

oh ffs....

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
...Or, you assume that the lowest paid FT employee is paid a lot less than they actually are......

yes i am, i'm assuming the average salary nationally - about 26k. just as the report does, which goes to show how this matter is distorted and skewed.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
yes i am, i'm assuming the average salary nationally - about 26k. just as the report does, which goes to show how this matter is distorted and skewed.

Sorry, I thought you were using the lowest employee as the comparator. Yep, the average salaries in the businesses I am involved with are considerably greater than the national average salary. Three reasons: they are all SE-based; they are all knowledge-based businesses, so a significant majority of the staff hold first degree or higher qualifications; as policy we aim to pay in the upper quartile for all employees below senior manager.

Glawstergull

May 21, 2004
GLAWSTERSHIRE
Nope. It means I'm involved in several businesses who each contribute to my salary which, in aggregate, is <7 times the salary of the lowest paid FT employee and about 2.5-3x the average of any employee in any of those businesses. I know the multiplier against the lowest paid employee because that's something I track very carefully - both the multiplier and the actual salary of the lowest paid employees (I've talked before on here about my views concerning the minimum wage and living wage); whereas I'm having to guess what the average salary across all of the businesses is - hence the range.

I think you mean they contribute to your income not to your salary.

just saying.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
My CEO earns 3x my salary and roughly 8x the salary of the lowest paid in the company. I have no issue with that. Maybe those that complain should start their own business ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here