Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A question for the refs. Sending off a player

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I was thinking about this yesterday whilst watching the Palace v Arsenal game. The Arsenal player, dunno his name, was in a filthy mood and close to a second booking so Wenger called him off. The board goes up, the ref acknowledges it and signals for the player to go off, the substitution was announced on the tannoy and the sub is ready on the touchline as the Arsenal player walks off.

If the Arsenal player, whilst walking off but still on the pitch, had then abused the crowd or a Palace player and picked up another yellow would Arsenal have gone down to ten men with the substitution cancelled or would the act of the ref previously acknowledging the substitution mean that the player was effectively already out of the game and Arsenal could carry on with 11 men? Does that make sense?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I was thinking about this yesterday whilst watching the Palace v Arsenal game. The Arsenal player, dunno his name, was in a filthy mood and close to a second booking so Wenger called him off. The board goes up, the ref acknowledges it and signals for the player to go off, the substitution was announced on the tannoyand the sub is ready on the touchline as the Arsenal player walks off.

If the Arsenal player, whilst walking off but still on the pitch, had then abused the crowd or a Palace player and picked up another yellow would Arsenal have gone down to ten men with the substitution cancelled or would the act of the ref previously acknowledging the substitution mean that the player was effectively already out of the game and Arsenal could carry on with 11 men? Does that make sense?

I'm sure this came up in You are the Ref recently. IIRC, the substitution is made when the sub comes on the field not when the ref acknowledges it, so the team would be down to 10 men

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I was thinking about this yesterday whilst watching the Palace v Arsenal game. The Arsenal player, dunno his name, was in a filthy mood and close to a second booking so Wenger called him off. The board goes up, the ref acknowledges it and signals for the player to go off, the substitution was announced on the tannoy and the sub is ready on the touchline as the Arsenal player walks off.

Good question. Personally I THINK that the substitution is NOT complete until the first player has left the field - so in your scenario, the sub would not be allowed on.

SAC

May 21, 2014

Pretty sure that this has been on Your Are The Ref. As it is an Arse player, he would get given another chance.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Pretty sure that this has been on Your Are The Ref. As it is an Arse player, he would get given another chance.

Unless of course, the Arse (or anyone for that matter) were playing Palace, the jammiest spawniest twunts known to professional football. In which case, the ref would send off the fella, and two more for good measure.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Coquelin was very lucky to still be on the pitch when he was subbed, a second yellow was inevitable. Could be a very good player if he grows up and stops being a petulant little shit.

But yes as said above, I think the substitution would only be complete when the player coming on has entered the field of play.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
If a player that is being substituted then commits another bookable offence before leaving the pitch, then the ref has to send off that teams number 4 player and if that offending player commits a 'bookable offence' when he has already been substituted and has already left the pitch then that teams number 7 is sent off in his place.

Seems a silly rule to me but worth keeping in mind when making such a tactical substitution.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If a player that is being substituted then commits another bookable offence before leaving the pitch, then the ref has to send off that teams number 4 player and if that offending player commits a 'bookable offence' when he has already been substituted and has already left the pitch then that teams number 7 is sent off in his place.

Seems a silly rule to me but worth keeping in mind when making such a tactical substitution.

Certain that you are incorrect.

If the substitution is completed, and the first player has left the field of play, there is no way that the player coming ON could be sent off for anything the first player subsequently did.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

Thanks for the replies but can I just ask for clarification on your post here please? Are you saying that if the substituted player had been booked after sitting down in the dug-out then gets booked again for some argy-bargy that the player who came on in his place gets sent off?

If so, it does rather go against reason because ordinarily the player that comes on doesn't 'inherit' any bookings from the player he replaces.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Certain that you are incorrect.

If the substitution is completed, and the first player has left the field of play, there is no way that the player coming ON could be sent off for anything the first player subsequently did.

No sorry, my mistake it is the number 8 that gets sent off if the other 'bookable offence' is done before he gets to the touchline and the number 10 if its after he has left the field.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Pretty sure whenever any player is on the pitch, they're under the control of the ref. Which is why I've been getting really annoyed with refs at the Amex lately who have come off straight after blowing the final whistle, as they should always be the last off the pitch.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
No sorry, my mistake it is the number 8 that gets sent off if the other 'bookable offence' is done before he gets to the touchline and the number 10 if its after he has left the field.

Now you've lost me, sorry. Are you saying there are specific positions that would have to forfeit their place on the pitch for specific bookable offences by substituted players? Or is this an elaborate gag that's gone over my head?

Confused of Brighton.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Now you've lost me, sorry. Are you saying there are specific positions that would have to forfeit their place on the pitch for specific bookable offences by substituted players? Or is this an elaborate gag that's gone over my head?

Confused of Brighton.

You can only substitute the goalie on behalf of the offending player if he is booked whilst leaving the field for a terrace infringement, a bit like Catona, but for anything else it is number 8 and number 10.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
You can only substitute the goalie on behalf of the offending player if he is booked whilst leaving the field for a terrace infringement, a bit like Catona, but for anything else it is number 8 and number 10.

I'm really sorry, I must be being particularly thick today but that confuses me more and I'm not sure if the part about the goalie is true, If a goalie gets sent off then it makes perfect sense to bring on a sub goalie and take off an outfield player but I don't think there's a requirement to do so. And you keep commenting about numbers 4,7, 8 and 10 are these merely player positions quoted in old money, so to speak, and if so, what happens if the team aren't playing 4-4-2?

"You need to take off your centre forward"

"We haven't got one"

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Pretty sure whenever any player is on the pitch, they're under the control of the ref. Which is why I've been getting really annoyed with refs at the Amex lately who have come off straight after blowing the final whistle, as they should always be the last off the pitch.

Players are under the jurisdiction of the ref from the moment the ref arrives at the ground until the moment they leave. If a player were to abuse the ref in the car park before the game they could in theory be given a red card and be unable to take part in the match.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here