Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

First Half v Second Half performances

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Delighted with the start to the season (of course)!.

Also delighted with how we have been 'on it' right from the ko, particularly in closing down opponents when we don't have the ball.

It's true to say, however, that we have played much better in the first half of each game, with a drop-off in energy and performance for the 2nd halves. I suspect it is not possible to play the high energy closing down game for 90 minutes. But on this basis, should CH be a bit more pro-active in the use of subs? They made a real difference against Forest (we were comfortable last 10 mins once the subs came on). And JFC, of course, made the key intervention against Fulham. I thought the Ince-for-Stephens switch was 10-15 minutes too late on Saturday - Ince could have helped negate the longball threat earlier and Stephens was clearly struggling.

Views?

PG

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
I think it is as soon as we score or take the lead the whole team seems to settle back and allow opposition more territory.....I do however think this happens in most games and indeed most teams and other sports...Fighting hard to win, when we score players feel feel job done..

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
All our winning goals came in the second half! :lolol:

(just my little joke.....)

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I thought the subs were made about ten minutes late on Saturday, as the team was crying out to be refreshed. Fortunately we survived and then grabbed the victory. It remains to be seen if those tactics continue. I would hope that Hughton & Calderwood would review their decisions, and maybe change things a little earlier in the game.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
All our winning goals came in the second half! :lolol:

(just my little joke.....)

I know, I thought that as I was writing the post(!) But I think the overall point is valid. I always take the view that the nearer the start of the season we are, the more important the performance, the nearer the end the more important the result.

PG

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I think it is as soon as we score or take the lead the whole team seems to settle back and allow opposition more territory.....I do however think this happens in most games and indeed most teams and other sports...Fighting hard to win, when we score players feel feel job done..

I agree. We did this last year as well but it was less obvious because we didn't score many!

The positive spin is that we've won all our games but there are clearly ways we can improve.

PG

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's true to say, however, that we have played much better in the first half of each game, with a drop-off in energy and performance for the 2nd halves.
I think it's more complicated than that. Against Fulham, Dale Stephens' game dropped off as he was ill in the week, but also Fulham changed formation and made it difficult for us in the centre. Being the start of the season, and new tactics, other teams will be working us out and I'm concerned that we'll get overrun in midfield, but time will tell.

I thought the Ince-for-Stephens switch was 10-15 minutes too late on Saturday - Ince could have helped negate the longball threat earlier and Stephens was clearly struggling.
Agreed, I don't know why CH was so slow. I wasn't at the game, but it sounded painful on the radio. Maybe it wasn't as bad as it sounded.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
I imagine second half performances will improve as the players' fitness levels rise, currently they're getting knackered by about the 65th minute.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I think it's more complicated than that. Against Fulham, Dale Stephens' game dropped off as he was ill in the week, but also Fulham changed formation and made it difficult for us in the centre. Being the start of the season, and new tactics, other teams will be working us out and I'm concerned that we'll get overrun in midfield, but time will tell.

Agreed, I don't know why CH was so slow. I wasn't at the game, but it sounded painful on the radio. Maybe it wasn't as bad as it sounded.

I think CH wanted us to push for the win - and the game was open and we looked a threat on the break - so he was reluctant to make a more defensive switch. But yes, we called it a few minutes earlier than he did.

PG

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The Cairney equaliser came at the wrong time. Othewise we might have paced our pressing game a bit better.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I thought the subs were made about ten minutes late on Saturday, as the team was crying out to be refreshed. Fortunately we survived and then grabbed the victory. It remains to be seen if those tactics continue. I would hope that Hughton & Calderwood would review their decisions, and maybe change things a little earlier in the game.

Definitely this, The more tired they became, the more sloppy the players were with their passing. March and Stephens in particular, needed to freshen it at 60 mins.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
In the 3 games so far:

1st Half: Scored 1 conceded 1
2nd Half: Scored 3 conceded NONE

(though I do agree with you)

Is that right ?

It's 4 games including Southend and we scored in first half v Fulham and also tonight

But still scored more in 2nd half than first !

Last edited:

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
Agree with the OP and it's very noticeable how much the team fade in energy around the 65th minute mark. We are starting games positively with great closing down of opposition players and launching attacks with pace and numbers.

As i saw first hand at the Fulham game, Chris Hughton was slow in getting the subs warmed up and ready to come on, when they were finally brought on they were at least ten minutes later than required. In that time Fulham could have quite easily taken the lead (but obviously didn't) if it wasn't for the heroics of a few including a superb tip-over by Stockdale. Thankfully we got that late pen to seal the win.

As it was at Fulham on Saturday, tonight Albion should have bagged a couple of goals before half-time but the service to the forwards isn't quite clinical enough just yet, hopefully this will improve and also our match fitness, and to complement this Hughton will see the positives in bringing on the subs a little bit sooner (I hope).

Apart from a few issues mentioned in the above, it's great to see the Albion start the season on this positive form, long may they continue to improve and add even more quality along the way.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Agree with the OP and it's very noticeable how much the team fade in energy around the 65th minute mark. We are starting games positively with great closing down of opposition players and launching attacks with pace and numbers.

As i saw first hand at the Fulham game, Chris Hughton was slow in getting the subs warmed up and ready to come on, when they were finally brought on they were at least ten minutes later than required. In that time Fulham could have quite easily taken the lead (but obviously didn't) if it wasn't for the heroics of a few including a superb tip-over by Stockdale. Thankfully we got that late pen to seal the win.

As it was at Fulham on Saturday, tonight Albion should have bagged a couple of goals before half-time but the service to the forwards isn't quite clinical enough just yet, hopefully this will improve and also our match fitness, and to complement this Hughton will see the positives in bringing on the subs a little bit sooner (I hope).

Apart from a few issues mentioned in the above, it's great to see the Albion start the season on this positive form, long may they continue to improve and add even more quality along the way.

But we've scored 2 goals in stoppage time ?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
We certainly seem to have less energy in the final third. It was very noticeable at Fulham despite nicking it late on.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here