Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Huddersfield memories (A)

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Two spring to mind for me.

First one, I think season 93/94. We won 2-1 (again I think because it was 'a while ago') Think again that either Foster or McCarthy scored a great header, but what I remember most from this game was being f++++ing freezing and being pelted by snowballs from the early departing 'Uddersfield fans! Was funny at the time, and although I have had various, more vicious things thrown at me at football than snowballs, it was a first.

Second memory, about 15 years ago. Zamora scored one of his customary 'cutback on the left and smash into the net' goals on the way to either a 1-0, or 2-0 victory. Lucky to see any of the game because I took an old girlfriend to the game (living up North at the time) and we got absolutely battered before the game in a vodka bar in either Leeds or Huddersfield and I was seeing double of every player - funnily enough she didn't join in with my "in your Northern slums" ditty!!!! Happy Days!

So looking forward to tomorrow's match for different reasons, and loving the new optimism that both players and fans now have!

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Jake Robinson's hat-trick when we thought we may have a real star in the team. Sadly was down hill from there!

And the 7-1 which was the only game I have left with 15 mins to go!

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
Leeds Road was a good 'traditional' ground.
Didn't realise they have had three new grounds - McAlpine, Galpharm and John Smiths. The precursor to the Amex, except they only started with the two sides and no ends.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Second memory, about 15 years ago. Zamora scored one of his customary 'cutback on the left and smash into the net' goals on the way to either a 1-0, or 2-0 victory. Lucky to see any of the game because I took an old girlfriend to the game (living up North at the time) and we got absolutely battered before the game in a vodka bar in either Leeds or Huddersfield and I was seeing double of every player - funnily enough she didn't join in with my "in your Northern slums" ditty!!!! Happy Days!

I remember that game. I traveled from Liverpool with a few Brighton mates but as one ran a Saturday morning kids club with over a thousand kids, we were very late setting off with only an hour before the game started. I have to say that i will never drive that fast again. Even so we ended up running up the hill to the stadium and missed the first couple of minutes. Did Zamora score very early? One of my friends missed both our goals having a piss lol! I remember being VERY envious of their stadium.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

So looking forward to tomorrow's match for different reasons, and loving the new optimism that both players and fans now have!

Was that the one that was just after Mickey Adams leaving? I was at that one and it was a right messy day. Remember walking round Sheffield at about half ten looking for an open pub and then getting tinnies for the train to Huddersfield instead. After a bit of a session I settled in for 90 minutes of not drinking only to find they sold beer in the ground which, at the time, was a total novelty. Afterwards we got a similar sized carry out and were nearly late for our train. Their "lads" were all outside the station and were pissing themselves laughing as a procession of us ran for the train with carrier bags overflowing with tinnies. Seem to remember Worthing Paul only just making it and ending up drinking with some random Birmingham fans. Have completely forgotten the football bit apart from the fact we won.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Two turgid draws and a 7-1 defeat. Dreamland.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Ancient history, Leeds Road.
Went to the old ground back in the early 70's, I think. Remember walking up a cobbled street towards the ground and seeing hills in the distance.( I think??)
Can't remember anything about the game, at all!

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
owusu-l229-2028574_478x359.jpg

Owusu raising the roof and getting the point that basically confirmed we were staying up.

Kuipers
Whing - Virgo - Elphick - Borrowdale
Loft - Dicker - Fraser - Cox
Owusu - Hart​

What a team that was. :lolol:

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
Ancient history, Leeds Road.
Went to the old ground back in the early 70's, I think. Remember walking up a cobbled street towards the ground and seeing hills in the distance.( I think??)
Can't remember anything about the game, at all!

That could have been our only away win in Div 2 in 1972.
Huddersfield went down with us !

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Midweek, freezing winter Leeds Rd with giant terraces about 20 maybe 25 years ago 0-1 or was it 1-2 as above? Definately midweek & unlikely to do again midweek in a hurry, full credit to those travelling up tomorrow

Telford Seagull

Jul 5, 2011
Telford
I've got some pretty terrible memories of Huddersfield away, so its about time i got one good memory from that place!

Back in 2006 i think it was (Jake Robinson hat trick) i missed the game. I can't quite remember why, but there was quite a big reason why i couldn't go.

In 2009, the last away game of the season was a shocker for me. I had met Chris Birchall & Michel Kuipers a few weeks before and they had promised me their shirt & gloves respectovely for the Huddersfield game (i was only 14). On my way up to the game, there was a really bad accident on the M6 which meant i was stuck in the car with my dad & mate for 5 and a half hours at standstill. We called home, got my mum to stick the commentary on the computer and left the phone next to it so we could listen to it. We made a few people jump when Owusu scored! We drew 2-2 and pretty much guaranteed our survival. It wasn't actually long after the game that we finally got moving, turned back and went home. To make things worse, my hero Kuipers was actually wearing a completely different pair of gloves. Maybe he did remember he promised me his old ones!

So when we were scheduled to play Huddersfield away in August of the 2009/10 season, i was quite happy. We set off nice and early to visit the ermm...lovely sights of Huddersfield. We went 1-0 early before Liam Dickinson scored and absolute belter to equlise. You Albion fans will remember exactly what followed. A beyond embarrassing 7-1 loss which could have quite easily been more.

Then in December of 2010, i was all set to go to the Huddersfield game before getting a call on the Friday night. I was playing for Wolves at the time and i was called into the U18s squad for the next day...so i couldn't go. I was gutted, especially as i spent 90mins on the bench only to hear we had lost 2-1.

Back in 2012 when we won 2-1, again i couldn't make it. Ice around the roads of my home town had made it horrendous to drive around....shock though....we bloody won!

The game towards the end of the 2013/14 season wasn't a great one, but Bruno salvaged a 1-1 draw late on.

Even last season's game wasn't bad at all. We were very unlucky not to win it, but another draw.

I'll be there tomorrow, here's to hoping we get the 3 points!

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
I always thought we did well at Huddersfield, so checking up on all the games I have seen there since the 70's our record is:
Won 8, Lost 7, Drawn 4. There have been no 0-0 draws.
It is normally bloody cold - but we all know what happened the last tiem we went there on a warm night in late summer exactly 6 years ago !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here