Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CORBYN-Policies NOT The Man

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Interesting times for those that like their politics.
another thread descended into his dodgy past with terrorists

but what about simply discussing his policies only,and the implications of said stuff should he become PM in 2020

Economy

End austerity
high taxes for the rich
Print more money(quantitative easing)
Raise £120bn annually by clamping down on tax avoidance
Nationalize Railways
Nationalize Utilities

Defence

Withdraw from Nato
Abandon 2% of defence of GDP plan
Stop Trident continuing until 2032 by defeating the gov in 2016 vote

Education

End public schools' charitable status,
Tuition fees scrapped and a return to the grant system
free universal childcare for everyone, rich or poor

Housing

Introduce rent controls
right to buy at a discount to include those in social housing and private rented accommodation

EU

opposes the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP)
Not sure anyone knows where he really stands on EU membership.....mixed messages

Monarchy

No longer interested in that fight

think i am fairly correct in what he is standing for but willing to be corrected

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
In an ideal world I would support many of his policies but we don't live in an ideal world. For example, utilities really should be under public control ( personally I think every person should be entitled a ertain amount of gas / electric free - just remove tax credits to pay for it ) but who would invest the billions needed for new powerstations if the industry was nationalised ?

As for leaving NATO ...... nuts !

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
When you combine all these policies into one overall package the big policy is one to take Labour into the wilderness for a generation.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
What has changed in the UK to think that a lurch back to "traditional" Labour ground would get them elected? Winning elections in the UK is about claiming the centre ground, so how would this help?

I'm much more likely to vote Labour with someone like Corbyn in charge than any of the other three identikit candidates. He at least appears to have some morals and a purpose. And that is coming from a UKIP supporter !

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I'm much more likely to vote Labour with someone like Corbyn in charge than any of the other three identikit candidates. He at least appears to have some morals and a purpose. And that is coming from a UKIP supporter !

well that cant be right....according to mustafa and dave you must be a fascist for being UKIP.......you are not permitted to be associated with Labour or anyone else......it ruins their argument UKIP are nazis

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
In fairness to all his other policies you can see where people are coming from or trying to come from,fair enough its an alternative,knock yourself out people.......but leaving NATO is mental.....why would people abandon European security like that.

nuts

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
Oh my. Just print more money, that'll sort everything out. Then everyone will be rich and everyone can be taxed more so there will be a lot more money to give to people.

Seriously the old politics of envy by taxing "rich" has been shown to reduce tax incomes. Let's encourage innovation and ambition whilst ensuring we have fair systems to look after those who are genuinely in need of support and help.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

Well will enough of the electorate though? There has not been a traditional Labour government in the UK for nearly 40 years, which must say something about the UK electorate.

As for nationalising utilities, since I am living in a country that is crying out for privatisation of utilities (rolling power cuts and potential water rationing in the near future), that's a no no from me. Even the Chinese have started getting private investment in their utiliies. Giving more power to the watchdogs and making sure that they use it seems a better solution to me.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Interesting times for those that like their politics.
another thread descended into his dodgy past with terrorists

but what about simply discussing his policies only,and the implications of said stuff should he become PM in 2020

Economy

End austerity
high taxes for the rich
Nationalize Railways
Nationalize Utilities

Defence

Withdraw from Nato
Abandon 2% of defence of GDP plan
Stop Trident continuing until 2032 by defeating the gov in 2016 vote

Education

End public schools' charitable status,
Tuition fees scrapped and a return to the grant system
free universal childcare for everyone, rich or poor

Housing

Introduce rent controls
right to buy at a discount to include those in social housing and private rented accommodation

EU

opposes the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP)
Not sure anyone knows where he really stands on EU membership.....mixed messages

Monarchy

No longer interested in that fight

think i am fairly correct in what he is standing for but willing to be corrected

Good thread, something I have also been thinking a bit about, It`s about time we had a politician that stood up for his beliefs and came forward with policies which will actually bring changes for the better, the last person to do that was Thatcher. One objective missing is to do away with nuclear power stations , it`s only a matter of time before we have a disaster. As a staunch conservative it is pleasing to see a real politician again, shame he bats for the wrong side.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Oh my. Just print more money, that'll sort everything out. Then everyone will be rich and everyone can be taxed more so there will be a lot more money to give to people.

Seriously the old politics of envy by taxing "rich" has been shown to reduce tax incomes. Let's encourage innovation and ambition whilst ensuring we have fair systems to look after those who are genuinely in need of support and help.

And wouldn't everyone paying tax properly (particularly businesses) be fair? The 'politics of envy' line is as old as you think the politics are. We've been living in the times of the politics of envy for years now, it's just it's all those 'scroungers' everyone is encouraged to get angry with.

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Corbynism sounds brilliant.....A society where no one wants for anything,we are all looked after from cradle to the grave....Will it work ? can it work ?...probably for a while untill we as a country are unable to get more borrowing and then we will be as crippled as Greece etc. Spend Spend Spend brings happy times today but misery tomorrow.....Perhaps if you are 75 or more it makes sense to vote Corbyn.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Winning elections in the UK is about claiming the centre ground, so how would this help?

Here's what someone had to say about this. "People say to us 'oh, you've moved away from the centre.' But then opinion began to change to, as the heresies of one period ... became the orthodoxies of the next." That was Maggie Thatcher speaking during the 1979 election - moving away from the centre ground didn't seem to do her much harm.

Seriously the old politics of envy

Corbyn's policy isn't proposing to print any more money than Cameron/Osborne are. His argument is that instead of printing that money and giving to the banks, it should be provided to a National Investment Bank for infrastructure projects. It's a policy that has flaws of its own but to mock him for suggesting print more money, when it's exactly what the present government does is just misguided.

As for "politics of envy": what is this, the 1970s? Whatever you say about Corbyn, I don't think even his enemies would accuse him of hankering after the good life. He's a non-smoking, non-drinking vegetarian who doesn't even own a car. He also claims the lowest amount of expenses of any MP. Your idea that he's eager to get hold of more money to live some dream of opulence is, frankly, bizarre

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

people need to understand that QE is not the same as printing money. QE is a quite sophisticated financial arrangement to indirectly pump money into the economy that is reversible. it has partially worked (it hasn't had as much impact as desired) without causing inflation because of this indirect focus. actually printing money, some £50bn a year suggested, would have substantial inflationary pressure and all those newly built houses would just cost the same (or more) in the adjusted new prices as it will just fuel further demand.

also there isnt £120bn in tax avoidance, this number is an artifact of an economically dodgy left wing research that miscounts all sorts of items, for example counting the black market as a full part of the economy (good luck taxing people on moody gear or ciggies from holiday).

and on the Europe issue, Corbyn is a firm euro-skeptic, being opposed to Maastricht and Lisbon treaties. his postion is to stay in on the condition of wide range of re-negotiation, and has been expected to campaign against EU membership as things stand currently.

Corbyn's policy isn't proposing to print any more money than Cameron/Osborne are. His argument is that instead of printing that money and giving to the banks, it should be provided to a National Investment Bank for infrastructure projects. It's a policy that has flaws of its own but to mock him for suggesting print more money, when it's exactly what the present government does is just misguided.

He's not explicitly planning to print more, but yet his policy on QE clearly would lead to more. He's proposing an end to the Bank of England's remit in charge of monetary policy - it would be the government, not the Bank, in charge of the "printing presses". And the government pretty much always faces pressure to spend more money. So, in practice, the policy would lead to more central money creation than not doing it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What has changed in the UK to think that a lurch back to "traditional" Labour ground would get them elected? Winning elections in the UK is about claiming the centre ground, so how would this help?

This is one approach. But, as seen across other countries, maybe this is changing with time and with more and more people being trapped outside the so called middle-ground.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Corbynism sounds brilliant.....A society where no one wants for anything,we are all looked after from cradle to the grave....Will it work ? can it work ?...probably for a while untill we as a country are unable to get more borrowing and then we will be as crippled as Greece etc. Spend Spend Spend brings happy times today but misery tomorrow.....Perhaps if you are 75 or more it makes sense to vote Corbyn.

Or if you're a young entrepreneur or a manufacturing start-up ...... both of which he quite rightly wants to support.

I don't agree on some of his policies (and I typically strongly oppose them) but am totally with him on many. On balance he's the man I think.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
people need to understand that QE is not the same as printing money. QE is a quite sophisticated financial arrangement to indirectly pump money into the economy that is reversible.

I agree that it's not the same as selling off gilts, but the effect is the same: there's an increase in the money supply

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here