Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The return of the ZX Spectrum

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
With 1000 games pre-loaded, plus the ability to add more with a micro SD card, people of a certain age might be tempted to buy this and relive some of the old classics like Jetset Willy and Manic Miner. It's out a week tomorrow and I'm very tempted to get one, but a bit put off by the £100 price tag. Thing is, am I going to get the same buzz out of it that I got 30 odd years ago or will the games feel absolutely crap next to today's games? I want to get one for nostalgic reasons more than anything. Here's more details with a list of the 1000 games: http://www.funstockretro.co.uk/zx-spectrum-vega-console

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
440px-Kevin-toms-football-manager-screenshot-2.png

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
It's not exactly FIFA is it? I used to enjoy playing Mexico '86 because it had the full World Cup campaign with qualifiers and friendlies. Sadly missing from the list.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Years ago (like 15?) I had manic miner on my pc on an emulator. Other games too. Sure you could find them still?

I would say 100 quid could be spent better elsewhere and your nostalgia could be fed via the internet. Think there are spectrum apps for phones too.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Years ago (like 15?) I had manic miner on my pc on an emulator. Other games too. Sure you could find them still?

I would say 100 quid could be spent better elsewhere and your nostalgia could be fed via the internet. Think there are spectrum apps for phones too.

I agree with this. Those people with a real hankering for the Spectrum experience would have already played all their favourites via emulators. The only bonus of an actual physical device to round off the experience would be a dead flesh keyboard and the sound of the loading screen as you make a cup of tea/boil an egg/(insert other activity that takes 5 minutes).

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012

Absolutely this.

There are emulators for the vast majority of older consoles out there, with a variety of devices supporter by them.

For example, my phone currently has working GBA, Megadrive, Snes and PS1 (yes, really) emulators. It blows my mind to think that my mobile is playing tony hawks 3. Crazy times.

Discodoktor

Apr 28, 2011
Guildford
Being a game designer I have always loved games with a passion. However, £100 seems like a lot when you can play these for free on the web at the world of spectrum. I also find nostalgia is very short lived compared to a good game.

Highlights for me

Back 2 school and skooldaze
Tracksuit manager
Xenon
Player of the year
Phoenix
Knight lore

I would go add these
Lords of midnight
Ghost busters
Jet set willy
Manic miner
Barry maguingans boxing
The way of the exploding fist
Daley thompsons decathalon
Match day
Football manager
Great escape
Beachy head

There were so many football management games
Like football director and Mexico 86 that I would add

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
£100 would buy you a proper Spectrum and an SD card reader to play every game, ever. The designers of the Vega admit they are after a new audience rather than Spectrum nostalgics.

BTW - those of you remembering Football Manager fondly that have an iPhone, Kevin Tom's Football Coach is now available. No idea what it is like but he has gone for the same kind of vibe.

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
Thanks for all these replies, you've swayed me towards saving my money. I agree, I think the nostalgia would last for an hour before the novelty wears off. I didn't know you could play Spectrum games on the PC, I'll look into that.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton

I too had Manic Miner or something similar. It was one of those games where you had to solve problems. I was doing it along with a delivery driver who popped in weekly to compare notes. After a year I don't think we had solved it. Still got my Spectrum somewhere in working order.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Thanks for all these replies, you've swayed me towards saving my money. I agree, I think the nostalgia would last for an hour before the novelty wears off. I didn't know you could play Spectrum games on the PC, I'll look into that.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i was going to say this is worth it for the all in one, licenced copies of the Spectrum back catalog. iirc they've gone to some lengths to find copyright holders get the games licensed and those authors will see some royalties (albeit not a lot).

however, i looked up a few games i remember from the later spectrum days and they aren't there. so what we probably have here is a list of the independently produced games, with many of the quality (! :lolol:) titles missing, so not really that great. what also tell us is there were bonkers number of games made for that platform.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I too had Manic Miner or something similar. It was one of those games where you had to solve problems. I was doing it along with a delivery driver who popped in weekly to compare notes. After a year I don't think we had solved it. Still got my Spectrum somewhere in working order.

You are Ed Milliband and I claim my 5 pounds.

(and no, that doesn't sound like manic miner)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here