Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trip to Krakow ... anyone been recently ?

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Do Auschwitz and Salt Mines. Nightclubs/bars wise, so many I don't even know where to begin.

Cheap though and lots to see plus good food.

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
I'm there from 6th Sept, really looking forward to it. We've booked for Auschwitz and Wieliczca salt mines. I've borrowed a guide book for the salt mine, it looks amazing.

Cold Gettin Dumb

Jan 31, 2013
Check out one of the many cellar restaurants. Lovely eating yet extremely cheap.
The salt mine 'Wielicka' is unmissable. It's about 25 minutes out of the town by taxi.
Wawel castle and its chapel are stunning both inside and out.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Fantastic city , salt mines are amazing , great pubs and clubs in Jewish district

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Kazamirz (sp) the old Jewish quarter was best by far in the evenings when I went a few years back. Alchemia being the oddest bar but very good fun. Definetly go to Aushwitz but leave it to your last day......trust me. It has a profound effect on many people.

seagull_in_malaysia

Aug 18, 2006
Reading
I was there a couple of weeks ago, really enjoyed it. We did a 'communist' tour which involved driving around in an old Trabant which was great. As mentioned there are lots of bars and restaurants and obviously very cheap compared to UK.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
I go to Krakow twice a year. My business partner has a flat next-door to the flat of Agnieszka Radwanska, the tennis player.

Bombardier

NSC Patreon
Jul 22, 2004
Hove actually
Was there in March with 4 others. Where do I start?

We took in Auschwitz which, as other posters have said is a must do but has a profound effect. We were also lucky enough to grab tickets for the Krakow derby match. Wislaw were at home to Craiova. MAD, utterly bonkers and boy do they hate each other. No beer sold on that match day (the only game that beer is not sold at a game) and we were utterly fed up having left the main square and some seriously good beer. Still made up for it afterwards in town with large beers and Zoplika hazelnut vodka. Suggest the old Jewish quarter, which has some great bars including some that sell craft beer. Parts of films have been shot in this quarter including Schindler's List. The main part of town is beautiful and has cobbled streets and squares galore. Most of Krakow is a wonderful place to explore. It's also stupidly cheap. Most expensive pint was about £1.30 and that was because we found ourselves in a bar where the bar maid had a cracking back side to oggle! The price of alcohol is, as I say CHEAP and average is about 70p - £1.10 a pint depending on where you are. The food is also equally affordable and portions are huge. Try Pork knuckle......lovely.

Suggestions: Airport / hotel travel. We used www.krakow-airport-express.com run by a guy called Dominik. Superb. looked after our every need. His firm collected us from airport and dropped off at hotel. Returned us at end of trip on time at airport and the whole return journey for 5 in a luxury Mercedes people carrier was 100pln or 25euro each way. We paid in Polish Zloty as the Zloty was cheap against the £ but as the Euro is about 1.40 to the £ you might want to pay in Euro's but it's still going to work out at £7 per person (based on 5 or 6). Don't bother with public transport when you can get it so cheap. They also took us to Auschwitz in the same type of vehicle. Again, cheap way of getting there and they guide you around outside and will wait as long as you want them too. Brilliant service.

Hope this helps?

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Been to nearby Wroclaw a couple of times with the boys and will go back again - great place, brilliant nightlife, good smattering of UK/Yank expats - few mates live there and do contract work in Middle East. So cheap. You can see why they base themselves in S Poland.

Did Auschwitz on our first visit. Bit harrowing but didn't really affect me. Seeing the kids with the Israel flags draped over their shoulders mourning their forefathers

Sweetie

Apr 1, 2004
Schindlers factory is just outside the city centre and easily walkable.

As others have said Auschwitz and the Salt Mines are a must.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
It's one of my favourite places to visit and everything mentioned here so far is spot on IMO.

I'd add -

Don't be afraid of taking a free walking tour (an 'official' one starts outside the cathedral) as it's very very interesting, you see much more of the city and see tons of stuff you would normally miss - bits of the ghetto wall (shaped like Jewish gravestones, those cheeky Nazis), the sculptures and commemorations in unexpected places of what happened there during the occupation, particular buildings (especially in Kazimierz) and their WWII significance.

Find a cheap restaurant just off the main square, then sit all evening in the main square drinking cheap beer in the warm autumn breeze :thumbsup:

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
We're in Krakow now, love the place, so much to see, tons of history, great restaurants, really friendly people and so many pretty girls!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here