Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Official Site] MARRS HAILS SOLID OPENING-DAY DISPLAY

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
albion-vs-rovers.jpg
Brighton & Hove Albion women’s manager James Marrs hailed a solid display from his side following a 4-0 opening-day victory over Forest Green Rovers, but admits there is still room for improvement.
Albion comfortably dispatched the newly-promoted outfit at the American Express Elite Football Performance Centre thanks to goals from Jay Blackie, Deanna Cooper, Lucy Somes and Kirsty Barton, but Marrs feels his side could have been even more clinical.
He told seagulls.co.uk, “I thought it was a good performance, not an excellent one but I wouldn’t say we were poor either.
“It will be interesting to see how many shots on goal we’ve had and I don’t think we’ve fixed the problem of scoring more goals.
“I don’t think I will ever be completely satisfied, but it was a good opening day of the season with a nice crowd and some good weather as well.
“I thought that Forest Green were also a very sporting side and added to the good atmosphere of the game.”

LATEST NEWS FROM*SEAGULLS.CO.UK

Albion had four different debutants, as Charlotte Young, Kate Natkiel and Kim Stenning all began their second spells with the club, while Annie Rolf made her senior bow after graduating from the club’s centre of excellence.Marrs praised the players for their performances, but revealed that Stenning had to be withdrawn after picking up a head injury in the second half.
“I thought Annie did a really good job in midfield considering she was very nervous.
“She has come up from the under-17s and had her first pre-season with the seniors and now, her first game.
“Charlotte looked comfortable when she came on and I thought that Kate and Kim did very well upfront.
“Unfortunately Kim had to go to A&E with potential concussion and we hope that she makes a quick recovery."
Attention then turned to next Sunday’s match against fellow title contenders Charlton Athletic at Thamesmead. The Albion boss says that it is a game which he and the players will relish.
“I cannot wait to get on that pitch and play against them and the girls are all hungry to test themselves. As soon as the final whistle went, my focus went straight to the Charlton game.
“We’ll have a really good week in training and prepare well for the game because we are all hungry to win the league, and the players will do everything they can to get us there.
“This is a game where we have chance to show our title credentials and I’m very excited.”
[h=3]ALBION V BLACKBURN ROVERS*
[/h]SATURDAY 22ND AUGUST, KICK-OFF 3PM

[h=3]ALBION V HULL CITY*
[/h]SATURDAY 12TH SEPTEMBER, KICK-OFF 7.45PM

[h=3]ALBION V ROTHERHAM UNITED*
[/h]TUESDAY 15TH SEPTEMBER, KICK-OFF 3PM

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here