Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nigel Adkins

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
I used to dislike the man, and even more so with his "keep up" comments said in an interview in our last season at Withdean. Granted he does talk the managerial talk, with clichy phrases and buzzwords, but there is something about him I admire.
His rise from player to physio to manager is quite a personal achievement, it must be said. I've just watched a video of him on YouTube, and I must say despite THAT comment, which I'm sure was said in jest, and to big up some hype, I have now warmed to him.
Even looking at his managerial record, despite having a bad run with Reading, he's pretty much ticked every box with every other club he's been at. His stats are quite impressive.
Why is he not managing at a higher level than League One?
I wonder if we looked at him before Hughtons appointment ?

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I think he was runner up to Poyet when he was appointed, and may well have been considered when Poyet was linked with Reading. Possibly he therefore feels a little irked by us. Useful pantomime villain for us, especially at Dagenham and Redbridge, where he had to walk past us. I felt a little sorry for him when he got the sack from Southampton, but as Pochettino and Ronald Koeman showed, he was well below their level. Mind you, Pochettino seems to have met his match at Tottenham.

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
When he was at Scunthorpe, I really liked Adkins. Always quite liked Scunthorpe as a club and it was good to see them doing well and playing good football. I remember being particularly happy when they won the play off final against Millwall when Sparrow scored twice. However, I seem to go through phases of harbouring feelings of intense hatred for one club in particular, and while Adkins was at Southampton, they were that club. I couldn't quite buy into the whole fairytale narrative that people attached to a squad that failed to win League 1 despite having Fonte, Lallana, Schneiderlin, Lambert, Ox (for a bit). I still think he was very harshly treated by Saints. Didn't mind him so much at Reading because he didn't really do a lot and I am currently totally indifferent to him now that he has taken on the inevitably poisoned chalice of Sheff Utd.

At the time, it seemed a good idea for him to go to Reading so soon after being let go by Saints, but in hindsight, he might have been better off holding out for a bigger Championship job with the view of taking them up. Can't see him in the Championship again unless with the Blades.

penfold.jpg

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Not endeared to him after his guard of honour refusal and the arrogant attitude of that season in particular, but has to be said I'm quite surprised to see him back managing at League One level as I think he's much better than that.

Makes you wonder what level Gus will come back in at?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here