Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Should a penalty have been awarded?

Should a penalty have been awarded?

• Yes

Votes: 60 55.0%
  • No

Votes: 11 10.1%
  • Who cares? Suck on that Fulham!

Votes: 38 34.9%

• Total voters

North Stand Polls

Feb 25, 2015
Match_Action_Brighton_and_Hove_Albion.gif

Screen Shot 2015-08-16 at 12.54.48.png

Last edited:

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Though the contact may have started on the edge of the box it continued into the area which, under the rules of the game, means a penalty can be awarded.

First time round I thought it might have been inside, but watching the replays definitely just in the box. Just a bit worried about Hemed's penalties though. Both times he sent the goalkeepr the wrong way and looked very cool but if the keeper had gone the other way it would have been a relatively straight forward save - a good height for the keeper, not hit particularly hard and not right in the corner.

But I'm picking nits here.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
In general, the referee should determine the location of the foul based on what gives the greater benefit to the player who was fouled. FIFA has specifically endorsed this principle in one of its “Questions and Answers on the Laws of the Game “ (12.31) which states that a penalty kick is the correct restart if a player begins holding an opponent outside the player’s penalty area and continues this action inside his penalty area.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
First time round I thought it might have been inside, but watching the replays definitely just in the box. Just a bit worried about Hemed's penalties though. Both times he sent the goalkeepr the wrong way and looked very cool but if the keeper had gone the other way it would have been a relatively straight forward save - a good height for the keeper, not hit particularly hard and not right in the corner.

But I'm picking nits here.

I think he waits to see which way the keeper goes first and then slots it calmly in the other corner.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Well before reading the post Bozza put with the rules I'd have said never a pen. But that changed things a bit. Another grey area of football... Yet another grey area in the rules though...

Is it me or in normal time does it look clearly a pen & yet the still shows clearly not a pen - doesn't seem like the same incident :lol:

Just shows how tough that decision was for the ref...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The ref hd no hesitation in giving it, so he was convinced. The still shows the start of the tackle but not the time it was completed and where Kafenga was. At the speed he was travelling a second to complete the tackle would have made all the difference as he only had to travel another 18 inches.

I tthink a penalty was the correct decision.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
The ref hd no hesitation in giving it, so he was convinced. The still shows the start of the tackle but not the time it was completed and where Kafenga was. At the speed he was travelling a second to complete the tackle would have made all the difference as he only had to travel another 18 inches.

I tthink a penalty was the correct decision.

Actually the ref DID hesitate on the decision and looked to his linesman for help.

Poppett63

Jul 16, 2011
I think it was but he hasn't been given lots that were even more nailed on in the past. Bottom line is that we are top of the league with 100% more wins than any other team in our league

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Actually the ref DID hesitate on the decision and looked to his linesman for help.

Yep he clearly looks across and one can only assume that he got a nod from the lino. From memory it was a just result for a really dumb challenge. The ball had escaped KLL and was heading out for a goal kick.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
In general, the referee should determine the location of the foul based on what gives the greater benefit to the player who was fouled. FIFA has specifically endorsed this principle in one of its “Questions and Answers on the Laws of the Game “ (12.31) which states that a penalty kick is the correct restart if a player begins holding an opponent outside the player’s penalty area and continues this action inside his penalty area.

I voted "who cares", because I thought the outside the box thing would stand. Bozza having put that right, I would still vote who cares because, whatever we think, it was awarded.

Maybe it is about time we were on the right side of some difficult or borderline decisions anyway.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well before reading the post Bozza put with the rules I'd have said never a pen. But that changed things a bit. Another grey area of football... Yet another grey area in the rules though...
I don't think it's that grey really, just many of us (inc me) didn't know the rules. But we're not refs, I suspect they know the rules.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here