Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A Win On The Wireless- Listening To the Albion At Home

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
http://brightonlines.com/2015/08/15/a-win-on-the-wireless/

Listening to today's game on the radio brought flooding memories of yesteryear when this was our main avenue of contact with the game.

I remembered the old commentators of the game, some of whom have now passed on. I wonder if any NSC folk have memories of classic old games on the wireless.

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I find I get the most nervous listening to the match on the radio, it's hard work!

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I have on cassette the Newcastle away FA Cup game recorded off the BBC in 1983. Now where did I put it, under the stacks of VHS tapes maybe or all the press cuttings.

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
I always have the same ritual when listening on radio. I have a wind up radio that will often go dead at a crucial moment and then I am frantically winding it up to get sound again. I also do a lot of pacing up and down. Nightmare - so stressful !

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I have on cassette the Newcastle away FA Cup game recorded off the BBC in 1983. Now where did I put it, under the stacks of VHS tapes maybe or all the press cuttings.

Was that the radio commentary ?

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Radio Sussex sold copies of the commentary of the Liverpool Sunday Cup tie in 1983 on cassette tape. Des did the commentary. It was the most amazing game. This thread has prompted me to look for the tape and listen to it today, if i can find one of those new fangled cassette players

phoenix

May 18, 2009
Is there anywhere you can listen to the full match ,as I was away yesterday and would love to hear it?

Eeyore

NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Is there anywhere you can listen to the full match ,as I was away yesterday and would love to hear it?

I'm not aware of full commentary re-runs, although Radio Sussex may have an archive facility.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I was listening in the garden yesterday. Decided to cut the grass and so couldn't hear a thing for a while. Turned off the lawnmower to hear us scoring, did a little fistpump, and then nearly fell over the strimmer when JC said it was 2-0. Happy days :clap2:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I was cooking a roast with the commentary on. Got so in to it in the second half that I very nearly burned the spuds. Me and the boy went loopy round the kitchen for about a minute when the third went in.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Radio Sussex sold copies of the commentary of the Liverpool Sunday Cup tie in 1983 on cassette tape. Des did the commentary. It was the most amazing game. This thread has prompted me to look for the tape and listen to it today, if i can find one of those new fangled cassette players

I have the highlights on a tape somewhere. My main memory is the commentator saying something along the lines of 'and Gerry Ryan, who has done nothing all game, puts the ball in the net'. I also remember kicking my Roberts radio in frustration when they equalised, as I assumed that was it for us. I used to love listening to the old European nights whilst playing subutteo with my mates.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here