Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Getting a UK Visa etc

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We have a Malaysian student living with us, and she'd like to live here permanently, but she's only on a student visa. She's studying A levels, and will then do a degree, probably followed by further training.

Are there any professions that would increase her chances of getting a visa to work here, for example, being a doctor?

Thanks

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
We have a Malaysian student living with us, and she'd like to live here permanently, but she's only on a student visa. She's studying A levels, and will then do a degree, probably followed by further training.

Are there any professions that would increase her chances of getting a visa to work here, for example, being a doctor?

Thanks

I don't know the answer but I know a man who does. He sometimes holds court at Days Buffet Restaurant (East Street, site of the old ABC Cinema). The one time he invited me for lunch there, he was constantly approached by a succession of Chinese and Malaysian students for advice on such matters, and his advice is very much respected. Lovely bloke as well, and honest as the day is long. Your student lodger could do a lot worse than go down to Days and ask around. Food's pretty decent also.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada

Thanks

Pics? :blush:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Claim asylum ?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't know the answer but I know a man who does. He sometimes holds court at Days Buffet Restaurant (East Street, site of the old ABC Cinema).
Thanks. What does 'holds court' mean in this context? Does he own it, manage it or what?

Your student lodger could do a lot worse than go down to Days and ask around.
I don't think she'd feel comfortable doing that. Do you think these students are given kosher methods, or slightly more Arthur Daley methods?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Thanks. What does 'holds court' mean in this context? Does he own it, manage it or what?

I don't think she'd feel comfortable doing that. Do you think these students are given kosher methods, or slightly more Arthur Daley methods?

'Hold court' means he turns up there occasionally and is considered to something of an elder statesman of the Chinese/Malaysian community to whom young kids from that part of the world might turn for honest advice. I've known him and his family for long enough to have absolutely no doubts on that score. I'm sure there are plenty other equally kosher sources. Not sure how wide your student's community of friends in a similar situation is, but from what I've seen, students tend to go to Days as a reassuring taste of home, same as we might, say, tend to frequent a Wetherspoons in Malaysia or have the occasional full English on the Costa Del Sol. Go on, TREAT the girl!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
'Hold court' means he turns up there occasionally and is considered to something of an elder statesman
Thanks, I thought it might mean that, but that would mean there's a fair chance he won't be there if she goes.

Not sure how wide your student's community of friends in a similar situation is
Zero.

Any chance you could PM me some details, so I don't end up talking to some random drunk?

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Thanks, I thought it might mean that, but that would mean there's a fair chance he won't be there if she goes.

Zero.

Any chance you could PM me some details, so I don't end up talking to some random drunk?

PM me I have a few numbers of immigration lawyers in London who can probably help.
I know of many filipinos who have had student/work visa converted to permanent.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
PM me I have a few numbers of immigration lawyers in London who can probably help.
I know of many filipinos who have had student/work visa converted to permanent.
Thank you. Any idea how the Filipinos got them converted?

I presume the Lawyers would want paying though, and we're not at that stage.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We have enough foreigners here as it is...bloody lawyers and loopholes.
Do your country proud and send them packing back home:thumbsup:
But she's clever, can help our society, and will pay a lot of tax - does that help, or is it her colour that's wrong? ;)

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
But she's clever, can help our society, and will pay a lot of tax - does that help, or is it her colour that's wrong? ;)
That's irrelevant and colour has nout to do with it....Its to easy for foreign students to stay here and this must be addressed.
140,000 foreign students flock here every year and many never go home or disappear into the abyss of illegals.

Time we focused on British students instead of ripping them off to go to uni...This country is obsessed with foreign investment at the expense of british students.

Money money money

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That's irrelevant and colour has nout to do with it....Its to easy for foreign students to stay here and this must be addressed.
140,000 foreign students flock here every year and many never go home or disappear into the abyss of illegals.
She's not wanting to be an illegal, surely that's a good thing?

Time we focused on British students instead of ripping them off to go to uni
Don't the higher fees foreign students pay help keep costs for British students moderate?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

In what way is she so clever, she is doing her A levels like 100 000's of UK youngsters and why would she pay more tax than UK youngsters that would do the same future job.

Nope dont care about colour of her skin, why would I, this would be a discussion about Nationality and her legal right to move and work here permanently, I assume if she had the right to stay she wouldnt need lawyers, unless of course she needs advice on how to build up a case based on inaccuracies.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here