Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Women's football

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
Like rugby, I do not like watching women's football, this is a fact. This is not because I do not like women (quite the opposite), it is because I find myself comparing women's football to men's football which is probably wrong and I know I should embrace it as an entity in it's own right, but whenever I have watched it before I have not enjoyed it.

Therefore, because I watch every kind of football when it is being played by blokes but I can't bring myself to watch it being played by women, would this be deemed politically incorrect in any way? Also, when I mention to people in conversation that I do not like women's football, am I in fact, being sexist?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i see its a bit like liking/not liking Italian or South American football. the pace and style is different and therefore may not quite be to ones taste.

its sexist if you say they shouldnt or cant play football. they clearly can and its to a high standard, better than say Scottish. if you were to prefer to watch Kilmarnock v Dundee to womens England v Germany, then you're probably a bit sexist about it.

Last edited:

Like rugby, I do not like watching women's football, this is a fact. This is not because I do not like women (quite the opposite), it is because I find myself comparing women's football to men's football which is probably wrong and I know I should embrace it as an entity in it's own right, but whenever I have watched it before I have not enjoyed it.

Therefore, because I watch every kind of football when it is being played by blokes but I can't bring myself to watch it being played by women, would this be deemed politically incorrect in any way? Also, when I mention to people in conversation that I do not like women's football, am I in fact, being sexist?

The answer depends on whether you like beach volleyball.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
i see its a bit like liking/not liking Italian or South American football. the pace and style is different and therefore may not quite be to ones taste.

its sexist if you say they shouldnt or cant play football. they clearly can and its to a high standard, better than say Scottish. if you were to prefer to watch Kilmarnock v Dundee to womens England v Germany, then you're probably a bit sexist about it.

Very good answer. Saying you don't it enjoy it with a reason that actually relates to the game rather than dismissing it because it's not men is fine, that's a well formed opinion.

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
I got into the woman's World Cup, same as cricket. Supporting he ladies in the biggest form of said sport, don't bother with local stuff, unless there's a fitty

...and I was concerned that I was perhaps being sexist

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
I felt a bit like the OP until the World Cup. Thought the standard of football was very high. The only position that does highlight a difference is the goal keeper.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I felt a bit like the OP until the World Cup. Thought the standard of football was very high. The only position that does highlight a difference is the goal keeper.
Which is the same as it was 25 years ago. I got in trouble for voicing that opinion (fact) then. Gk is just a really difficult position to play well, which is why when the celebrities play ex players, the celebs get a pro keeper.

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
Which is the same as it was 25 years ago. I got in trouble for voicing that opinion (fact) then. Gk is just a really difficult position to play well, which is why when the celebrities play ex players, the celebs get a pro keeper.

I thought the England keeper showed real quality at times.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
The Ladies cricket did get my attention with all the screaming when they got a wicket, I was in the kitchen at the time, ironically !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here