cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
spoilt by the first cast ..................so will never be as good
but when it comes up on video will give it a go

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
I hated the idea of this when I first heard about it. The original programmes, characters and cast were just so good.

But having seen the snippets of Michael Gambon as Godfrey and Bill Nighy as Sgt Wilson, among others, I have to admit it shows some promise.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
I'd love this to work, but think it maybe beyond anyone to resurrect the comedy of 'Dads Army'. But live in hope, whilst considering in real life I'd actually be in it now ! :eek:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
It should be OK as long as they are not trying to pretend to be the original cast (ie Jones playing Lowe playing Mainwaring etc). But we will see - have got the entire original series on DVD and it is still amusing, but nothing like as funny as I remember as a kid, which is not really surprising!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
"The year is 1944 - on the brink of defeat..."

Er, I rather think we'd turned the corner by then and the Hun was on the run. Cringeworthy inaccuracy.

As for the trailer, the casting looks spot on but what is the point of the film? It worked in the 70s, partly because the War had only ended 30 years earlier and partly because comedy humour was much more gentle. Are today's audience really going to find stuff like some old men being surrounded by a field of cows funny?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I hated the idea of this when I first heard about it. The original programmes, characters and cast were just so good.

But having seen the snippets of Michael Gambon as Godfrey and Bill Nighy as Sgt Wilson, among others, I have to admit it shows some promise.
I flippin love Bill Nighy. Is that allowed as he is one of them?

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood

Er, I rather think we'd turned the corner by then and the Hun was on the run. Cringeworthy inaccuracy.

As for the trailer, the casting looks spot on but what is the point of the film? It worked in the 70s, partly because the War had only ended 30 years earlier and partly because comedy humour was much more gentle. Are today's audience really going to find stuff like some old men being surrounded by a field of cows funny?

Quality comedy will always stand the test of time, my 14 year old absolutely loves 60's and70's comedy, Dads Army, along with Steptoe and son , being her favourites . As expressed by others the only worry is that because of the iconic status of the original cast their modern day counterparts don't measure up. Mind you, I am looking forward to finding out if they do.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
I flippin love Bill Nighy. Is that allowed as he is one of them?

"Allowing" doesn't come in to it.

But Bill Nighy is a superstar, and the perfect choice to follow on from John Le Mesurier.... but bringing his own interpretation as well, I trust.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Quality comedy will always stand the test of time, my 14 year old absolutely loves 60's and70's comedy, Dads Army, along with Steptoe and son , being her favourites . As expressed by others the only worry is that because of the iconic status of the original cast their modern day counterparts don't measure up. Mind you, I am looking forward to finding out if they do.

Steptoe and Son has been ruined with Wilfrid Brambell being connected to child sex abuse.

I can understand why Harry H Corbett hated him so much, and when he called him a “dirty old man” he really meant it.

Could never watch it again.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Yes

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
The trailer has me want to give it a miss. Although that was probably my wish in any circumstance, unless perhaps the characters had become either dwarves or made of spoons or even a set of German versions of the ones we supposedly cherish.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
I think in life you have to be open minded and positive but personally i hate the idea already and hope it flops big time despite the hype ….. er with the greatest of repeat to those involved.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The film is doomed.

As well as being handicapped due to the comparison to the original cast, it has the problem of trying to transfer what worked extremely well in a 30 minute episode into film.

If the new film, is compared to the original cast film, it may well be on a par, but against the original cast in a 30 minute show - no chance.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

I tend to agree. The only way that this new version can be as a good, is if it is ;different'. Like for like there can be no comparison.

It is certainly a fine cast, so we will all have to wait until next year to see.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here