Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Official Site] MANAGERS' VIEWS: HUGHTON AND BROWN

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
banner.jpg

CHRIS HUGHTON was delighted to secure a place in the Capital One Cup second round and was pleased with Glen Rea, who made his first-team debut for the club.
He said, “The message before the game was that we wanted to go through. A lot of the teams that played last night would have used their squad in the best way possible, but you still want to put out a strong side, which I thought we did, and overall we showed a desire to go through.
“It was a great day and a tough experience for Glen, coming up against two players that are used to the ball going up to the front and winning headers.
“There were times when he got his timing a little bit wrong on the headers and he probably needs to gauge that a bit better, but overall I thought he did well - particularly on one occasion where a lad ran off the other side of Gordon [Greer] and he has had to cover very well."
The Albion boss was impressed by Niki Maenpaa’s save late in the game to keep the score level at 0-0, prior to Kazenga LuaLua's winner.
“It was a very good save, but I expected him to get there. We certainly shouldn’t have allowed the shot from the edge of the box, but it still needed a good save.
“That was arguably the only good goalscoring opportunity they had and it was that type of game, because we didn’t create many chances ourselves.”

LATEST NEWS FROM*SEAGULLS.CO.UK

brown-l229-2613800.jpg
PHIL BROWN was left frustrated at Southend United’s lack of cutting edge as the Shrimpers were knocked out of the Capital One Cup at the first hurdle.
He told southendunited.co.uk, “We showed them too much respect early on.
“When it showed 30 minutes on the clock we started playing. In the second half it was almost one-way traffic.
“The only thing that was missing was in the final third – putting the ball in the net. Myles Weston had the chance of the night and the 'keeper saved it.
“I'm disappointed. A cup run would have been great and it would have put a marker down saying we've beaten a Championship side. Brighton have gone through though and good luck to them.
“When you get the opportunities, you need to score them and then kill teams off. Noel [Hunt] did well and his partnership with Joe Pigott gave me food for thought.
“If we can put the ball in the net in this system we'll be okay.
“To come away from the game with nothing is bitterly disappointing. I'm disappointed for the players but we move on to Walsall on Saturday.”
[h=3]ALBION V BLACKBURN ROVERS***
[/h]SATURDAY 22ND AUGUST, KICK-OFF 3PM

[h=3]ALBION V HULL CITY***
[/h]SATURDAY 12TH SEPTEMBER, KICK-OFF 3PM

[h=3]ALBION V ROTHERHAM UNITED**
[/h]TUESDAY 15TH SEPTEMBER, KICK-OFF 7.45PM

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here