Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ollie's predictions [Sky Sports News]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
ian-holloway-columnist-pundit-football_3333136.jpg

New Sky Sports pundit Ian Holloway runs the rule over the big Football League fixtures in the first of a new series - and fears Leeds and Middlesbrough could get off to a rocky start.
James Bond in the Quantum of Solace: that's who I felt like when I was tearing around the Hampshire forests on my bike... but I'm in agony now, I tell you!
It's been great to have some time away with the family but as an out-of-work manager it's hideous, let's not try and dress it up. We're all walking egos - you have to be - and when you're not wanted, it's horrendous. I've been out in the garden, doing some DIY... and swotting up for what I reckon's going to be a cracking season in the Football League.
I'm down at Brighton on Friday for the big kick-off and I can't wait to get started in the Sky Sports studio. The money, the glitz, the glamour might be in the Premier League but it's the Football League that, in my book, really belongs to the people. We're down-to-earth in this country. We're passionate about our teams. I'm sick of owners turning up and saying: 'You've got to change the colour of your shirt.' That can't be right.*
I was brought up on the Football League. Now, as part of my new role as a Sky Sports pundit, I'm going to be travelling up and down the country getting a new perspective. I can't wait.
16-9
ian-holloway-sky-sports-football-league_3330680.jpg

[h=2]The money, the glitz, the glamour might be in the Premier League but it's the Football League that really belongs to the people.[/h]Ian Holloway

People get caught up in pre-season results but they're effectively training sessions in public, when us managers would prefer they were played behind closed doors.*It's all about getting through with no injuries, seeing how your new signings are settling in, gauging the mood in the group. None of it matters until this weekend - and everyone will be desperate to get off to a good start...
Brighton v Nottingham Forest, Friday 7.45pm, Sky Sports 1HD & 5HD
bobby-zamora-brighton_3332791.jpg
bobby-zamora-brighton_3332791.jpg

Bobby Zamora is back at Brighton 15 years after his first spell

I think this is going to be a really tight game. I was speaking to Chris [Hughton] the other night about his Brighton side and he knows what he wants to do. I reckon both sides are capable of being in the top half of the division - maybe even pushing for promotion.*
Forest attack well but Chris has made a great signing in Bobby Zamora. I've got a feeling this one will be a score-draw.
OLLIE PREDICTS: 1-1 *(Sky Bet odds 9/2)

[h=3]Holloway's hat-trick[/h]Find out who Ian Holloway is tipping up at 25/1 in his weekly Sky Bet treble here.

Leeds v Burnley, Saturday 12pm, Sky Sports 1HD & 5HD
sean-dyche-burnley-manager-tottenham-turf-moor-premier-league_3286121.jpg
sean-dyche-burnley-manager-tottenham-turf-moor-premier-league_3286121.jpg

Sean Dyche aims to lead Burnley back to the top flight at the first time of asking

I hope they can sort it out down at Elland Road. It's been a car wreck down there; they're underachieving and yet they've got those magnificent fans.
It's Yorkshire v Lancashire - an extra bit of spice - but I fancy Burnley strongly in this one. They've been up and down but I think Sean Dyche is an excellent manager. I know them inside out because I used to live up there and I reckon they'll ride the departure of Danny Ings, no problem. They've got a really good squad.
OLLIE PREDICTS: 0-1 (Sky Bet odds 13/2)
Blackburn v Wolves, Saturday 3pm
Kenny Jackett has done brilliantly at Wolves and I can see them challenging again. They were unlucky at the end of last year and I love the look of his strikeforce. They've lost Bakary Sako but with the likes of Benik Afobe and Nouha Dicko, they look strong. Gary Bowyer has really stabilised Blackburn and I actually think they'll be better without Jordan Rhodes, should he finally go. He's a goalscorer but it's difficult to play someone alongside him so they could well end up having a stronger unit.
I can't see this exploding with goals, mind. They're two organised sides, two teams who could mount a challenge but who might just cancel each other out here.
OLLIE PREDICTS: 0-0 (Sky Bet odds 9/1)
Charlton v QPR, Saturday 3pm
charlie-austin-queens-park-rangers-dundee-united_3328461.jpg
charlie-austin-queens-park-rangers-dundee-united_3328461.jpg

Charlie Austin remains in QPR's ranks for now, despite reported interest from Newcastle and West Ham

Having been with QPR for 10 years, I can only go one way with this one!
Charlie Austin will be gone by the end of the window, I'm sure of it, but they've made some decent signings, I like what my old mate Les Ferdinand is doing down there and I'd love Chris Ramsay to do well having been given the job full-time. It's a London derby - but I'm backing QPR to run out convincing winners.
OLLIE PREDICTS: 1-3 (Sky Bet odds 22/1)
Sheffield Wednesday v Bristol City, Saturday 3pm
Two massive clubs, two sleeping giants. Wednesday have been taken over recently so we'll have to wait and see how the new manager and signings gel. I thought Stuart Gray did a good job there but owners can do what they like.*
The Rovers fans will kill me but I'm going with Bristol City. Steve Cotterill has done brilliantly and I think they could be the dark horses of the division. They'll be going into the new season with that euphoria of being promoted; once you get that ball of good energy, it can carry you through the divisions, just like Southampton found.
OLLIE PREDICTS: 0-2 (Sky Bet odds 14/1)
Preston v Middlesbrough, Sunday 11.55am, Sky Sports 5HD
jermaine-beckford-preston-north-end-simon-grayson_3307816.jpg
jermaine-beckford-preston-north-end-simon-grayson_3307816.jpg

Jermaine Beckford (L) scored a hat-trick as Preston triumphed in the League One play-off final

I'm going for a shock here - I'm so impressed with what Simon Grayson has done at Preston and I love the look of Joe Garner and Jermaine Beckford up front. Middlesbrough had a great season but just missed out at Wembley; they've lost Patrick Bamford but taken back their old player in Stewart Downing.
Preston to hit the ground running, though, for me.
OLLIE PREDICTS: 1-0*(Sky Bet odds 15/2)
Bolton v Derby, Saturday 3pm
I'm a big fan of Neil Lennon. He's a winner. He went in there, got the ball rolling and made them a bit more positive going forward.
Everyone's talking about Paul Clement but I think this is a really tough first fixture for him. Listen, being a No 1 is totally different to being a No 2. I wish him all the best and I hope it works out but working for Carlo Ancelotti is no guarantee of success. Derby faded away when it mattered, which tells me something might not be quite right in the dressing room. Will they have a hangover? We'll have to wait and see!*
OLLIE PREDICTS: 2-0*(Sky Bet odds 16/1)
Gillingham v Sheff Utd, Saturday 3pm
nigel-adkins-sheffield-united-newcastle_3329787.jpg
nigel-adkins-sheffield-united-newcastle_3329787.jpg

Sheffield United are the bookmakers' favourites for promotion from League One under new boss Nigel Adkins

Nigel Clough made a real impact at Sheffield United but despite their cup runs, they failed to make it up through the play-offs so in comes Nigel Adkins, who does know a thing or two about getting promotion.
I fancy Gillingham to score but I can only see Sheffield United getting stronger and stronger and I think they'll have too much here.*
OLLIE PREDICTS: 1-3*(Sky Bet odds 16/1)
Shrewsbury v Millwall, Saturday 3pm
Steve Morison is a great signing for Millwall; he lives and breathes the club and he helped them stay up the year before. They'll need his experience but I know Micky Mellon well and I think his Shrewsbury side - promoted last season, great home record - will make it really difficult.
I'm going for Shrewsbury - with Morison to get himself on the scoresheet at least.*
OLLIE PREDICTS: 2-1 (Sky Bet odds 17/2)
Portsmouth v Dagenham & Redbridge, Saturday 3pm
454791818_3286610.jpg
454791818_3286610.jpg

Veteran striker Jamie Cureton scored 19 goals for the Daggers last season

Magnificent club, for me, Portsmouth, and now owned again by the supporters, which is a joy. They won the FA Cup, spent money they didn't have and now look at them - it's a lesson for everybody. The fans still flock to Fratton Park in their thousands.
I think they'll be there or thereabouts and Paul Cook - Cookie to me - is a great bloke. I've gone for the freak result of the day in this one - there's always one! - and because Jamie Cureton still knows where the net is, I'm going for a high-scoring draw.
OLLIE PREDICTS: 3-3.. or even 4-4!*(Sky Bet odds 80/1)

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

More...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here