Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our survey said...

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Apparently something like 6 per cent of NFL 'fans' have ever actually been to an NFL game in the States.

If you applied that to the Premier League, what do you reckon the figure would be?

Purely on geography I suspect it would be a lot higher...maybe 30-40 per cent?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Apparently something like 6 per cent of NFL 'fans' have ever actually been to an NFL game in the States.

If you applied that to the Premier League, what do you reckon the figure would be?

30-40% of UK-based PL club "fans"? Unlikely, imo, but just about possible, I suppose.

30-40% of worldwide PL club "fans"? Never. Closer to 1% of Manure "fans", I'd have thought...

seagull_in_malaysia

Aug 18, 2006
Reading

Only 6%? Don't their stadiums have ridiculously large capacities?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
That's a good point you raise - I was kind of assuming the NFL figure meant USA-based fans, and was wondering about UK-based Premier League fans (hence geography reference, it is just less far to go).

But yes, if you made that worldwide NFL/PL fans then obviously the figure is going to take a nosedive.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I remember writing a story about Man U's website and the CMO claimed that 98% of Man U fans had never set foot in OT

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Would US NFL fans in general go to their local college matches instead but still watch games on TV for their nearest big team

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Fewer games (16 per team w/o playoffs) > fewer tickets > higher prices.
Travel costs are a factor, too. English football is inconceivable without considering the British rail network.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Would US NFL fans in general go to their local college matches instead but still watch games on TV for their nearest big team

Exactly. Catchment areas are absolutely huge for US sports teams. The nearest team is literally hundreds of miles away in some cases, so college and high school sports take on increased importance because people have a much stronger connection.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Exactly. Catchment areas are absolutely huge for US sports teams. The nearest team is literally hundreds of miles away in some cases, so college and high school sports take on increased importance because people have a much stronger connection.

The importance of college football is higher the lower the population density.

In New England, it's a non-factor. Boston College's Alumni Stadium seats 50,000 or so, and it's never more than about 2/3rds full.
The New York/Philadelphia area is a college football desert, no matter how hard Rutgers tries.

There are also fewer, but larger, colleges as you go south and west. Chances are your school is Enormous State University.
Here in New England, college football is more likely to be Amherst v. Williams in front of 2200 fans, and the largest lineman the size of an Alabama place-kicker.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
The importance of college football is higher the lower the population density.

In New England, it's a non-factor. Boston College's Alumni Stadium seats 50,000 or so, and it's never more than about 2/3rds full.
The New York/Philadelphia area is a college football desert, no matter how hard Rutgers tries.

There are also fewer, but larger, colleges as you go south and west. Chances are your school is Enormous State University.
Here in New England, college football is more likely to be Amherst v. Williams in front of 2200 fans, and the largest lineman the size of an Alabama place-kicker.

A great point I hadn't thought of. I assume this carries over to high school too. I do also wonder if that's anything to do with relatively high concentration of NFL teams in the North East.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here