Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

QPR set to settle Financial Fair Play wrangle with Football League for just £8m

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
"QPR could settle their Financial Fair Play battle with the Football League for around £8million – an astonishing result after initial fears they would have to hand over almost £60m, writes Tom Hopkinson in the Sunday People.

The League came down hard on the Loftus Road club in May 2014 after they breached FFP regulations by posting an incredible loss of £65.4m for the year ending May 2013.

And it appears that decision could have saved them a colossal amount, as Sunday People Sport understands the fine will be more than £5m but less than £10m.

It is also understood that the Football League knew the figure would be a lot less than initial indications after a lengthy legal process, but that they are still hoping it will between £10m-£15m."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/qpr-set-settle-financial-fair-6220997

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3190812/QPR-avoid-hefty-Financial-Fair-Play-fine-club-appeals-arbitration-panel.html

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I hope other clubs join together and challenge this. Will be a disgrace if this is true.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
What a joke. Just scrap FFP it clearly doesn't work.

If a team goes in to admin relegate them simple as.

If owners want to throw their money away let them.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
FFP should be scrapped altogether. If they're going to renege on every one of the initial terms they set out and continue to move the goalposts to appease the 'big' clubs, what is the point of having it?

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
A green light for them to repeat the process this season. This was my fear about FFP that in law it is almost impossible to enforce in this situation. (i.e. a club failing FFP but being promoted in that season)

I wonder what will happen when the first club to fail to get promotion falls foul of FFP? Will the sanctions ever be enforced?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I wonder what will happen when the first club to fail to get promotion falls foul of FFP? Will the sanctions ever be enforced?

You mean like Blackburn and Forest?? They're both under a transfer embargo.

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012

Already happened, and best thing to say would be that the sanctions were enforced as long as the club stuck to the spirit of it. There were however various ways around it (see Watford; Fulham).

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

Several have which is why Blackburn, Forest etc have transfer embargoes (which is the penalty if you don't get promoted - only promoted clubs are fined).

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
FFP seemed to be working well with Forest and Blackburn suffering for their sins. QPR have been very clever with their litigation allowing them to sign the players they need before being hit with any embargo. If the fine is under £15m, they should have at least 20 points docked. Let's see what the league do.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What a ****ing joke. Barber must be livid.

This was my fear about FFP that in law it is almost impossible to enforce in this situation. (i.e. a club failing FFP but being promoted in that season)
The situation is a club that was promoted and has returned to the league. I don't believe it's unenforceable, otherwise why would QPR even pay £8m.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Keep the (rather tame) embargo as that does, to a small extent, work. On top of this introduce a new "admin = relegation" rule.

The fines are a laughing stock.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
A good idea would be that any team failing FFP and getting promoted would have to re-enter the football league in league 2 if ever they were relegated back to it.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Why are these articles not mentioning that the money goes to charity? That is 50m quid that QPR are denying CHARITIES, not other clubs.

And that's another part of the joke, the money should be distributed to the clubs that stayed within the rules. The charity thing was the first sign of this being a total cop-out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here