Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are our floodlights too DIM ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Just got round to the Fans Forum recording on iPlayer, and amongst the usual annual dreck, I was STARTLED to hear Barber admit that, in fact, the Amex is not "PLR" because the floodlights are only running 40w bulbs instead of 60w.

This made my ears PRICK up slightly, because I remarked just on Friday night to my colleague next to me that even though the floodlights were on, it didn't look all that bright on the pitch (and for once I wasn't talking about the team). This is nothing new. I've long considered that our pitch isn't lit up all that BRILLIANTLY, and seasoned Amex-ers of an anal nature from S1 may even recall that extra floodlights were installed in the corner rafters of the East stand in to light up the eastern cornerflags of the pitch, as they were often shrouded in gloom.

I don't think the Amex pitch is lit up as VIVIDLY as the one at the Goldstone or even Withdean on night games, and Barber has effectively admitted as much. We've got over a month before the next Tuesday night game against Rovrum - I say get down to Woolies and get the 60w lightbulbs in pronto, and to HELL with the bats and the "light pollution" issues we're clearly dancing around.

horshamite

Now Saltdeanite.
Nov 16, 2010
I had thought the same thing when the game got under way on friday and said as much to my neighbour who agreed. However once caught up in what was happening on the pitch it was forgotten about.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Not noticed , so is there a actual lumen number a football club have to have projecting down to the pitch and why would it be a lower lumen value i
In the championship than the premireship ?

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Not noticed , so is there a actual lumen number a football club have to have projecting down to the pitch and why would it be a lower lumen value i

With all that Sky cash, they can afford higher electricity bills ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The floodlights are too dim, but ...

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Strange the same comment was made to me on Friday and I dismissed it. Maybe I should now go to Specsavers

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
I also noticed the pitch has been made smaller this season. I thought this was to do with a change in tactics but maybe it is so there is less pitch to illuminate[emoji6]

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I DID visit Specsavers last season, as I thought I was struggling with my distance vision. This was because in evening games at the Amex I was struggling to identify our players. I sit at the back of H block in WSU so it was generally when play was at the South end of the pitch. The yellow numbers didn't help.

20/20, apparently. Turn the lights up!

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

Premier League -
A Club’s Stadium must have floodlights giving a maintained vertical illuminance of:
K.112.1. an average of at least 1650 lux and a minimum of at least 1000 lux when measured
towards the principal camera on the Television Gantry; and
K.112.2. an average of at least 1000 lux and a minimum of at least 650 lux at any one
location on the pitch when measured towards the 4 vertical planes at 0°, 90°,
180° and 270° as shown in the pitch lighting grid set out below.

Championship -
Average lux value 800
Minimum at any one point 500

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Looking at a replay on the big screen during the game, I did think the picture quality was poor which would be indicative of poor illumination.
Not sure the Withdean was better though.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Part of the build speech from someone, probably Martin Perry, was" look at our wonderful lights, They are the best, they have to be ready for HD television."
So together, neither the team or the lights are Premier League ready...........yet.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Wow, PB mentions something about the flood lights and all of a sudden, something that didn't appear to be a problem over the last 4 seasons ( I stand to be corrected with a link to the thread) has become an issue. Something else to add to the moaning list

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Wow, PB mentions something about the flood lights and all of a sudden, something that didn't appear to be a problem over the last 4 seasons ( I stand to be corrected with a link to the thread) has become an issue. Something else to add to the moaning list

Surely this isn't a problem until we actually reach the Pl? Our lights are fine for the Championship for now .

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

There's been threads about it ever since we had the first evening game. Very obvious from WSU

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here