Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Brewerys

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Just wanted to pick your brains as I know a lot on here know about pubs...

I've recently embarked on a project where I need to contact pubs / working clubs etc for something. I had a lot of success using the 'shepherd & neame' website as I was aware they owned a lot of pubs around this area. (Used their list of pubs and contact us pages to get hold of many venues easily). My question is, can anyone list me other Brewerys like shepherd & neame who own a large number of venues? Anywhere in England is the target market....

Help much appreciated!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Fuller's?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Greene King (also own Spirit Pub Company now)

A lot of them aren't owned by breweries. Assuming that isn't an issue, also:

Punch Taverns

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Greene King.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Young's, although strictly they aren't a brewer any more.

Hall & Woodhouse.

Hook Norton.

St Austell

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Brewdog own, or plan to own, around 30 in the UK.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Mitchell & Butlers

Mitchell's and Butlers own Nicholsons, All Bar One, Sizzling Pubs, Toby Inns, Crown Carvery (i.e.The Sportsman at Withdean) Harvester, Browns, Ember Inns, and a few others, so a wide variety there, and plenty of them in our neck of the woods.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
All fantastic so far - I thank you all :)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Greene King (also own Spirit Pub Company now)

A lot of them aren't owned by breweries. Assuming that isn't an issue, also:

Punch Taverns

Nope can be owned by anyone - I just thought Brewerys best way to go as it was so easy on the Shepard & Neame site to contact individual venues with a copy and paste and a few clicks. I couldn't find a list / databases of venues that wasn't free either - although admittedly didn't look that hard - I'm sure there's a pub guide directory I can also use somewhere. I did try trip advisor bits too but have only recently started the project. Thanks for your help chap.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Just to be pedantic Whitbreads do not own any pubs or brewery now. They pulled out to concentrate on hotels and Costa Coffee Shops.

Beefeater, Brewer's Fayre and Table Table are Whitbread names still. You could argue the toss over whether they are really restaurants, I concede.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would think the 3 largest holders of pubs are

Enterprise mostly leasehold
Greene King some leasehold and some managed
Punch Taverns leasehold mainly.

Cant think of others that have more pubs only M& B mainly managed chains.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Beefeater, Brewer's Fayre and Table Table are Whitbread names still. You could argue the toss over whether they are really restaurants, I concede.

They have always maintained that they pulled out of the brewery business as a result of the Monopolies Commision rulings in the 1990s. I thought that they sold off Beefeater etc but I could well be wrong so wouldnt argue. They definitely have given up brewing.

Just googled it they still own those brands but exchanged a number of Beefeaters for hotels.

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
Wadworth, based in Devizes have plenty in the South. Vintage Inns have a few hundred. Belhaven have a load in Scotland.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Mitchell's and Butlers own Nicholsons, All Bar One, Sizzling Pubs, Toby Inns, Crown Carvery (i.e.The Sportsman at Withdean) Harvester, Browns, Ember Inns, and a few others, so a wide variety there, and plenty of them in our neck of the woods.

Their largest shareholder I think is a tax exile Joe Lewis who is also the largest shareholder of Spurs.

I thought Vintage Inns was part of their portfolio also.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here