Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you remember when Fat of the Land came out?

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Having worn out my Experience and Gilted Generation CDs I don't think I have EVER anticipated an album as much as I did Fat of the Land, released 18 years ago.

Was it that I was at the very peak of my teenage obsession with recorded music, or was this truly a moment like no other and I was witnessing something so ground breakingly good that it's a wonder I wasn't paralysed by anticipation?

I'm struggling to think of any album I've anticipated as much since, electronic or otherwise. This was the one, the massive MASSIVE album that I'd waited FOREVER for and which actually delivered when I finally got it on my stereo, which it didn't leave for LITERALLY YEARS.

Anyone else have fond memories of that momentous June day back in 1997 when this epic masterpiece was unleashed onto the world and the musical landscape was changed forevermore?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
As an album I remember sharing similar levels of anticipation but the release came with so much more, it was culturally spot on for the time and came with some of the most energising and groundbreaking live performances ever. One of the few albums that actually exceeded the hype around its release which given the status of jilted generation was very impressive indeed

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Having worn out my Experience and Gilted Generation CDs I don't think I have EVER anticipated an album as much as I did Fat of the Land, released 18 years ago.

Was it that I was at the very peak of my teenage obsession with recorded music, or was this truly a moment like no other and I was witnessing something so ground breakingly good that it's a wonder I wasn't paralysed by anticipation?

I'm struggling to think of any album I've anticipated as much since, electronic or otherwise. This was the one, the massive MASSIVE album that I'd waited FOREVER for and which actually delivered when I finally got it on my stereo, which it didn't leave for LITERALLY YEARS.

Anyone else have fond memories of that momentous June day back in 1997 when this epic masterpiece was unleashed onto the world and the musical landscape was changed forevermore?

Remember it very well. I wasn't a big a fan of them as your good self but remember the anticipation of this album was sky-high and their new-ish sound was quite unique. Number 1 on both sides of the Atlantic which is no mean feat. Saw them at Brixton on the tour; felt like I'd done a few rounds with Mike Tyson afterwards . Happy days.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Felt the same and unusually when you are gagging for an album it 160% delivered against expectations and even crossed genres and gained a whole new fan base from the rock crowd. I can't believe it was that long ago!!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Top album. I was thinking of it when giving blood on Friday ;)

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I genuinely had never heard of this CD. I looked in because reading the title i thought it might be a thread about Christopher Biggins.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

No, passed me by entirely given that the album released in June 1997 was Heavy Soul

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
I do remember really anticipating the Stone Roses album in '95 second coming was it called? Listened a lot to the first album stoned out of our brains. Was a bit of a let down although I loved some of the tracks

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield

For me '97 was very special because I saw Radiohead at Glastonbury and it was truly special. They basically previewed there upcoming album Ok Computer and it blew me away, it blew everyone away.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
Was anyone else here at the Radiohead gig at Glastonbury in 1997? It was a truly wonderful experience

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Was a great Album. Always sitting next to Dig Your Own Hole in my flat causing much discussion and comparisons of the two albums.

Preferred the Chemical Brothers myself, loads of Big Beat lunacy around at the time though, was a good time in my hazy memory.

Fat of the Land always sounded a little over produced to me (Always thought the same about Ok Computer to, must have been something happening at the time)

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Was anyone else here at the Radiohead gig at Glastonbury in 1997? It was a truly wonderful experience

I say them in the big top in Richmond Park (??? a park in London anyway) the sound system was so quiet that they just didn't cut it :(

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space was also 1997 wasn't it? A good year for music I think.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here