Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have I been saying this football team wrong all my life?

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Bury FC that is.

I've always pronounced it the same as "Berry" but I've just been watching the "accidental goal" incident on the Bury FC player and he clearly pronounces it Burry, to rhyme with flurry. Have I been wrong all these years or is it an ignorant commentator?

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Bury FC that is.

I've always pronounced it the same as "Berry" but I've just been watching the "accidental goal" incident on the Bury FC player and he clearly pronounces it Burry, to rhyme with flurry. Have I been wrong all these years or is it an ignorant commentator?

It would appear you are in good company. Well mine anyway:moo:
just so we can establish relative ignorance - I'm 45

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Bury FC that is.

It's the local accent. 'Bury' (as in 'Berry') is fine, but in the local dialect it becomes more like 'Burr-ee'.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Ah, but is it 'Shrewsberry' or 'Shrowsburry' ?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
It's just your accent, if I go to the French capital, I tell people I am going to Paris, the locals say Paree, but they don't talk proper like what I do.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
When I was at secondary school in the late 70's I'm sure we pronounced ADIDAS as ' A DEE DUS' and then
In more recent times it seemed to change to ' A DEE DAS'.

Not forgetting the schoolboy jolly jape when you hijacked someone's sports. Bag and filled the gaps with All Day I Dream About Sex

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Bury FC that is.

Always Burray for me when referring to our Sussex village, I think that's the correct way to say it.

Ah, but is it 'Shrewsberry' or 'Shrowsburry' ?
it's been said to me; it's a Shrew, so it's Shrewsbury, it isn't a Schrow. G

ArfurW8

May 22, 2009
Fort Neef
I once knew somebody with the surname Sidebottom, he liked it pronounced Siddy bottam, ( the am rhyming with ham).
Mind you he was a pompous ass.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Regional accents play havoc with pronounciation. Take for example this one. In Surrey they say "Palace" where as in Sussex we stress the second syllable and pronounce as "scum"

HHGull

BZ fan club
Dec 29, 2011
Another local one - Offham. Off-ham or Oaf-ham. The residents opt for the latter I think, but I always thought it was Off-ham.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here