Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Car insurance For young drivers

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
youngest programme seller (yes he really is a Albion programme seller :thumbsup: )

Has just passed his driving test at 17 and as I have previously done I agreed to pay for his first years insurance, however previously his siblings did so at 18 & 19 hence his premiums are a lot age related higher.
I have added myself and wife and his brother and sister to reduce premium, nothing illegal I might add, it's his car his policy and him as main driver.
Any recommendations please for first time drivers from those who ha e been there before?
It's a 16 year old 1.4 Peugeot 206.
I have even looked at smaller engines but the difference is £100 at best and when best policy so far is £2400 TPO its makes no sense to change the car he has been learning in.

Last edited:

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Doesn't matter what the age of the car is, depends on engine size, my first car being 998cc and around £1400 per year on multi car insurance..

....Black boxes help if you can trust yourself to drive by the book!

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
My youngsters got an affordable deal using Tesco insurance but as said above, you must have the black box installed - it brings the premium right down.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Extra driving qualifications will help, the Pass Plus is recognised by a lot of insurers. It's also good for young drivers to get experience of motorways, adverse weather, night time driving even if it doesn't reduce his premium by that much.

Oh and don't be afraid of haggling with insurers.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
My boy paid £1200 for a Suzuki Wagon R; there aren't many cheaper cars to insure & there was no black box requirement. It would have been cheaper if Mrs H hadn't had two accidents neither of which were her fault (it still brought the price down to have her and me on the policy though)

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I have just arranged my 18 year old daughter's first insurance.She passed 1st time ten days ago.
She has a Peugeot 206, 1124 cc,manual and had no No claims discount.
Managed to get fully comp for £1226 with excess of £300 on any claims, and they fit a black box. No curfew, just monitoring her driving standards.
She is allowed 5000 miles per year and if her black box readings are favorable, she has the option to increase this to 6000, not that she will need to.
Sorted it through Compare the market and the best price was with Tesco Bank

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
Friend who works in insurance said being a member of that make of car driving club is a way of bringing down premiums as it's an indication that the driver will be more responsible, dodgy ways inc use a postcode address that is not a crime hotspot. So someone in your family but like I said dodgy if they go checking.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Friend who works in insurance said being a member of that make of car driving club is a way of bringing down premiums as it's an indication that the driver will be more responsible, dodgy ways inc use a postcode address that is not a crime hotspot. So someone in your family but like I said dodgy if they go checking.

Very much this. I knew people who lived in London but used Newhaven for an address.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Very much this. I knew people who lived in London but used Newhaven for an address.

Surely this is ok until you need to make a claim and then the insurers have a get out clause due to false information provided?

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
youngest programme seller (yes he really is a Albion programme seller :thumbsup: )

Has just passed his driving test at 17 and as I have previously done I agreed to pay for his first years insurance, however previously his siblings did so at 18 & 19 hence his premiums are a lot age related higher.
I have added myself and wife and his brother and sister to reduce premium, nothing illegal I might add, it's his car his policy and him as main driver.
Any recommendations please for first time drivers from those who ha e been there before?
It's a 16 year old 1.4 Peugeot 206.
I have even looked at smaller engines but the difference is £100 at best and when best policy so far is £2400 TPO its makes no sense to change the car he has been learning in.

Try someone like InsureTheBox. One of the aforementioned black box companies. Means he's less likely to drive like a div.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Not very helpful probably, but I wouldn't definitely say get a car with a smaller engine. My 1L Yaris is far nippier than a number of 1.4 and 1.6s I've driven anyway. :shrug:

Don't think age makes a lot of difference until at least 25+ but could be wrong.

grumpyoldgit

Mar 29, 2012
Would definitely have a look at Tesco black box, my son paid £750 fully comp its only an 1100 engine but still a great price, and he knows that if he drives like an idiot his premium will go up, I think all new drivers should be made to have one fitted because they can check to see how their driving. If I borrow the car it makes me drive a lot more sensibly because I know it will affect him.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Would definitely have a look at Tesco black box, my son paid £750 fully comp its only an 1100 engine but still a great price, and he knows that if he drives like an idiot his premium will go up, I think all new drivers should be made to have one fitted because they can check to see how their driving. If I borrow the car it makes me drive a lot more sensibly because I know it will affect him.

Just put his details in and it said he does not qualify for "box" policy, I will give them a ring, thank you for the tip.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Things are bad when you're better off pretending to live in Newhaven...

(Only joking, Newhavonians).

Al Bion

What's that in my dustbin
Sep 3, 2004
Up North
The cheapest my son could get last year at age 17 was with Ingenie with a black box, it cost about £1,200 but there was money back each quarter if his driving was up to scratch - he got about £150 back during the year. He has just renewed with Admiral as this was cheaper and also no black box needed. It was his choice as he's paid but I'd have preferred him to keep the black box in some ways!

I think the black boxes are a great idea in principle but having driven his car myself a few times it taught me a few lessons about how fast most people drive especially in towns, villages etc where there is a 30 mph limit. The amount of times I was beeped, had lights flashed and fingers waved at me was untrue when I tried to drive at the speed limit so as not to tarnish his black box record. Sad but true so do think about this if you have a choice of having a box or not.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
When my daughter passed three years ago we went for a multi car policy with Admiral which brought my insurance down as well. She was about £1200 for the first year.

Another thing we did was add named drivers, she was obviously entered as the main driver but we added me, my dad and my wife's dad, each time the premium reduced by over £100. We have a mult car policy with Aviva now.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The cheapest my son could get last year at age 17 was with Ingenie with a black box, it cost about £1,200 but there was money back each quarter if his driving was up to scratch - he got about £150 back during the year. He has just renewed with Admiral as this was cheaper and also no black box needed. It was his choice as he's paid but I'd have preferred him to keep the black box in some ways!

I think the black boxes are a great idea in principle but having driven his car myself a few times it taught me a few lessons about how fast most people drive especially in towns, villages etc where there is a 30 mph limit. The amount of times I was beeped, had lights flashed and fingers waved at me was untrue when I tried to drive at the speed limit so as not to tarnish his black box record. Sad but true so do think about this if you have a choice of having a box or not.
I don't want to encourage speeding but they don't know where you are so nothing less than 70mph should be an issue with a black box. It's more to do with harsh acceleration and cornering I believe.

The Bun Elephant

Feb 16, 2010
Sussex By The Sea
My Daughter passed her test within the last month (passed at 17, now 18)
She has her insurance with Admiral and payed £866 for a year fully comprehensive.

See has at 988cc car that has had a black box fitted and has both me and her mother as named drivers.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here