Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Council Tax Liability Order - BHCC

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I moved into a new place 7 months ago (Band B) and have been making my regular tax payments but about 10 days ago I recieved notice about a liability order from the Council for £1060.00. This letter is written as if I should know all about this and basically tells me that they are sending the bailiffs round. I've not received a letter about this from them before. The letter actually states that I have 7 days to respond before I would have to pay another £300 for court fees, I only opened it yesterday because I just assumed it was a receipt and have been busy at work and dealing with family illnesses.

This must be an administrative cock up right? Firstly my total tax bill for the year is about £1,200 so how I have incurred a liability of £1,060 since living here I'm not sure if that is possible? My tax payments come out by DD.

I have been receiving lots of final warning letters from various utility holders as the previous tenants appear not to have paid any bills whatsoever - these I have handed back to the letting agents to deal with. I am assuming this liability is on the previous tenants rather than myself? It has got to be right?

I just can't believe the Council would be so negligent which makes me worry that it relates back to a previous property and whether I had forgotten any payments.

I'm going to call them first thing tomorrow but I fear that they wont be very helpful TBH.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
I wouldn't worry too much. They are utterly useless, and once you point out how utterly useless they are they drop all the charges and threats. Essentially, I've learned through years of shared housing and mopping up council tax bills, the council aren't competent or organised enough to just do something as simple as calling you or contacting the last address on file for you. They either take your direct debit or threaten legal action immediately, or both.

I can give you a direct contact there by DM if you like. Once you speak to a human they're kind of ok.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Is the letter addressed to you at the property address or "the occupier" ?

Secondly, don't think councils are immune from making mistakes, then can and do.

When you ring the council, make sure you have dates/payment details to hand.

Baliffs do not have right of entry to residential premises but if you let them in, then they can seize stuff, so don't ever let them in; they will try all sorts such as asking to use the loo so be aware.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I wouldn't worry too much. They are utterly useless, and once you point out how utterly useless they are they drop all the charges and threats. Essentially, I've learned through years of shared housing and mopping up council tax bills, the council aren't competent or organised enough to just do something as simple as calling you or contacting the last address on file for you. They either take your direct debit or threaten legal action immediately, or both.

I can give you a direct contact there by DM if you like. Once you speak to a human they're kind of ok.

Thanks, I'll see how I get on with their direct line and will pm you if needed.

[MENTION=13947]happypig[/MENTION] it is addressed to me. Yeah I have my closure of account from my last place saying I'm up to date and payment details (actually I had paid too much and was in Credit).

Will definitely not be letting any bailiffs in!

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Surely if you've paid seven payments like you say then you know its an error as you would of paid over £700 already.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Have a careful look at the dates and the address the account relates to. It could be from somewhere you lived several years ago!!

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I dunno about B&H but Eastbourne council have a policy whereby if you pay monthly but fall into arrears, they demand the whole of the rest of the year immediately; quite often people cannot pay and so get summonsed to court for non-payment. Have they threatened you with this ?
It does sound like they've made a complete balls of it and you should be able to put it right with a phone call though.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here