Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Who?

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
Did paddy ever start a league game for us ?

He might not have done , but he was still part of our squad and came on, so point still stands. Quality on the bench is much stronger this year. Most people thought our squad was league 1 standard last year and we nearly proved it by where we finished. It is a shame we are still lumbered with O'Grady who would struggle to score in league 1, however once Zamora is fit can't see him making the bench. O'Grady came on yesterday and gave the ball away every time he touched it and even fouled someone in the corner when he didn't have the ball giving the ball back to the opposition when we were trying to keep hold of the ball. I read some comments on here how well he held the ball up and thought I must have missed this live during the game, so as I had recorded it I watched it again at home. How people can say he held the ball up well should watch his ten minutes on the pitch again. When you look at the options we had last season it was no wonder we struggled. Looking at our current squad and hopefully a couple of new additions there is no comparison to last season and good on the club in recognizing the errors of last season.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
He might not have done , but he was still part of our squad and came on, so point still stands. Quality on the bench is much stronger this year. Most people thought our squad was league 1 standard last year and we nearly proved it by where we finished. It is a shame we are still lumbered with O'Grady who would struggle to score in league 1, however once Zamora is fit can't see him making the bench. O'Grady came on yesterday and gave the ball away every time he touched it and even fouled someone in the corner when he didn't have the ball giving the ball back to the opposition when we were trying to keep hold of the ball. I read some comments on here how well he held the ball up and thought I must have missed this live during the game, so as I had recorded it I watched it again at home. How people can say he held the ball up well should watch his ten minutes on the pitch again. When you look at the options we had last season it was no wonder we struggled. Looking at our current squad and hopefully a couple of new additions there is no comparison to last season and good on the club in recognizing the errors of last season.

I agree with almost everything you said there, but O'Grady was good when he came on yesterday. Held the ball up well, linked up with the midfield and slowed the game down when we needed to relieve pressure. He probably will end up behind Zamora, but I don't think he's dead wood. As you rightly say, our team was poor at best last year and who suffers most in a rubbish team? The strikers.

I would also add though that of those who started on Friday,only Bong and Hemed were new signings. It might be more the case that the team was rubbish because it was badly coached under Hyypia and morale was shot to pieces. Also to say CMS was never good enough is a bit unfair, he was excellent in patches and had we played yesterdays formation from he moment he signed with him in he Baldock role, perhaps he would have extended his better form for longer?

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
I agree with almost everything you said there, but O'Grady was good when he came on yesterday. Held the ball up well, linked up with the midfield and slowed the game down when we needed to relieve pressure. He probably will end up behind Zamora, but I don't think he's dead wood. As you rightly say, our team was poor at best last year and who suffers most in a rubbish team? The strikers.

I would also add though that of those who started on Friday,only Bong and Hemed were new signings. It might be more the case that the team was rubbish because it was badly coached under Hyypia and morale was shot to pieces. Also to say CMS was never good enough is a bit unfair, he was excellent in patches and had we played yesterdays formation from he moment he signed with him in he Baldock role, perhaps he would have extended his better form for longer?

I agree that CMS was never played to his strengths by any manager and I felt sorry for him. However, he was another 4 years older from when we signed him and one of those strengths was his pace which unfortunately he was beginning to lose. I wish him all the best at Luton and hope he scores a hatfull. (Pun on Hatters). If he gets 20 goals there are a few on NSC that will say we should never have got rid of him not accounting for the enormous difference in standard. Look at Baldock scored for fun in League 1. Different story in the championship. Again though the argument being he was played out of position last season. Zamora, Hemed and Baldock (playing centrally) are are a vast improvement on O'Grady CMS and Baldock (on the wing).

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
O'Grady who would struggle to score in league 1

The guy that got 16 goals in the Championship in a poor side the season before last. He would struggle to score in league 1, you think?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The guy that got 16 goals in the Championship in a poor side the season before last. He would struggle to score in league 1, you think?

I scored a 180 in darts once. You think I can repeat that???

I thought CoG did his job rather well on Friday.
I only ever saw that job as come on with 10-20 minutes to go and defend a lead from the front.
Or start the odd tricky away game when the fixture list dictates 'get out of here with a point'.

Unfortunately for the Albion and CoG it would seem he's expected to be (and paid accordingly) better than he actually is.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003

COG did well when he came on. Held the ball up well and have them some concerns that they didn't have before he came on. He may not score many at this level, but people certainly underestimate what he brings to the team.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I agree that CMS was never played to his strengths by any manager and I felt sorry for him. However, he was another 4 years older from when we signed him and one of those strengths was his pace which unfortunately he was beginning to lose. I wish him all the best at Luton and hope he scores a hatfull. (Pun on Hatters). If he gets 20 goals there are a few on NSC that will say we should never have got rid of him not accounting for the enormous difference in standard. Look at Baldock scored for fun in League 1. Different story in the championship. Again though the argument being he was played out of position last season. Zamora, Hemed and Baldock (playing centrally) are are a vast improvement on O'Grady CMS and Baldock (on the wing).

100% agree with all of this..

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I scored a 180 in darts once. You think I can repeat that???

I'd say that comparing throwing three darts to playing an entire season of Championship football is a completely flawed analogy.

COG would be great in League 1, in the right side he'd get 20 easily. He's probably a lower end Championship striker. Not the man to get us promoted, but a solid 3rd or 4th choice striker. All immaterial anyway as I'm sure he's on his way.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I agree that CMS was never played to his strengths by any manager and I felt sorry for him.

I always hear this. What exactly are CMS' strengths? They aren't controlling a ball, they aren't finishing, they aren't 1-on-1s, they aren't heading. He was relatively quick but he wasn't like lightening by any means. I never quite understood what his strengths were meant to be.

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
Was it officially CMS's goal yesterday or did it go down as a own goal?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here